Student First-Day of School Questionnaires
25.4.2 – Learning who your students are: Questionnaires (for more details, see the Sourcebook for Teaching Science - Strategies, Activities, and Instructional Resources)
Questionnaires are a valuable tool to learn about the students in your classes. They should be voluntary, approved by an administrator, and collected early in the first week of class. Study each questionnaire, associating personal information with student pictures from your photographic seating chart. The following are sample questions. Select ones you think will provide the most useful information, and blend them with questions of your own. The category titles are for your reference only, and should not be included on your final questionnaire.
- What are your career goals?
- What are your educational goals after high school?
- What college would you like to attend?
- What do you see yourself doing in the next 5-10 years?
- How do you plan to get to where you want to be 5-10 years from now?
Family and home environment
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Do you take the bus to school?
- Do you bring your own lunch to school?
- What language do you speak at home?
- Who do you know, other than a teacher, who has gone to college?
- Who are your friends in this class?
- What are you are most proud of?
- What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- What extracurricular activities are you involved in?
- What are your hobbies?
Attitudes towards school
- What is your favorite thing about school?
- What is your least favorite thing about school?
- What was your favorite class last year? Why?
- Why did you enroll in this class?
- What school clubs and organizations do you belong to?
- What school sports are you involved with?
- What was your most recent mathematics course?
- List your class schedule.
- List the science courses you have taken.
Writing ability (writing prompts)
- If I could go anywhere, I would...
- I learn the most when the teacher...
- I learn the most when I...
- After high school, I will probably...
- My ideal job would be...
- Three adjectives others might use to describe me are...
- My definition of (biology, chemistry, physics, earth science) is...