PREPARE FOR LABORATORY WORK
· Study laboratory procedures prior to class.
· Never perform unauthorized experiments.
· Keep your lab bench organized and free of apparel, books, and other clutter.
· Know how to use the safety shower, eye wash, fire blanket and first aid kit.
DRESS FOR LABORATORY WORK
· Tie back long hair.
· Do not wear loose sleeves as they tend to get in the way.
· Wear shoes with tops.
· Wear lab coats during all laboratory sessions.
· Wear safety goggles during all laboratory sessions.
· Wear gloves when using chemicals that irritate or can be absorbed through skin.
AVOID CONTACT WITH CHEMICALS
· Never taste or "sniff" chemicals.
· Never draw materials in a pipette with your mouth.
· When heating substances in a test tube, point the mouth away from people.
· Never carry dangerous chemicals or hot equipment near other people.
· Keep combustibles away from open flames.
· Use caution when handling hot glassware.
· When diluting acid, always add acid slowly to water. Never add water to acid.
· Use glycerin and twist slowly at the base when inserting glass tubing through stoppers.
· Turn off burners when not in use.
· Do not bend or cut glass unless appropriately instructed by teacher.
· Keep caps on reagent bottles. Never switch caps.
· Consult teacher for proper disposal of chemicals.
· Wash hands thoroughly following experiments.
· Leave laboratory bench clean and neat.
IN CASE OF ACCIDENT
· Report all accidents and spills immediately.
· Place broken glass in designated containers.
· Wash all acids and bases from your skin immediately with plenty of running water.
· If chemicals get in your eyes, wash them for at least 15 minutes with an eyewash.
I, ________________________________, agree to: (a) Follow the teachers instructions, (b) protect my eyes, face, hands and body during laboratory, (c) conduct myself in a responsible manner at all times in the laboratory, and (d) abide by all of the safety regulations specified above.
Signature _____________________________ Date ______________
Parent's (Guardian's) Signature __________________________ Date _____________