Developing a website using your U-Drive
Develop your website
- Open your U-Drive first by as specifed.
- Use a Website development tool and save files into your public_html folder of your Udrive
- Develop a website by placing files in your public_html folder of your U-Drive.
- Use your university userid and password to access your U-drive.
- Unless you are experienced in website development, use one of the templates for your index (home) page.
- Save it as a source file (html file) as index.html in your public_html directory.
- Open it in html editor (right-click on file and select an editor, such as Kompozer) and make the appropriate changes and re-save it.
- Place all supporting documents in logically named subfolers within
your public_html folder.
If you do not have a public_html folder, create one and set its priveleges appropriately.
- OS 10.4 and higher gives you the opportunity to save all program files as pdf files. Select print / save as pdf.
- Windows files can be saved as pdf files using Acrobat, or by bringing them to the Mac lab.
- Open your index page (home page) and link to the appropriate files.
Using your U-drive from home
- To use your U-drive at home, it will be necessary to install VPN (mac) or VPN (Windows).
- Follow the same directions listed above
- To avoid permission errors, ave all files directly to the U-drive/public_html folder or a sub-folder within it.
- Do not drag files from other folders on your U-drive into the public_html folder as they will inherit their previous permissions and will therefore not be viewable on the web.
- If you are denied access when addressing you web page from a browser, you will need to change permissions.
- It may be necessary to change your password or turn your U-drive off and on to activate your account.
- If ITR increases your account size, do not use the account utility to turn on and off your U-drive as this will reset your quota to the minimum value.
- "NOT FOUND" This error will occur if you do not have a public_html folder in your account. You must create one by entering your Udrive .
- "ACCESS DENIED" or similar comment: This error occurs if your public_html folder is not set up for public access. You will need to set your permissions.