Irene Clark, Ph.D
Professor of English
Director of Composition
California State University, Northridge
I am currently a Professor of English and Director of Composition at California State University, Northridge, where I also supervise the Rhetoric and Composition Master’s option. Previously, I was the Director of the Writing Center and Co-Director of the Writing Program at the University of Southern California. My research interests focus on the teaching of writing, argumentation, genre and rhetorical theory, teacher preparation in Composition and Literature, and Writing Center issues.
- Writing in the Center. Kendall Hunt, 1992, 1998.
- Taking a Stand. Harper Collins, 1992, 1995.
- Writing About Diversity. Harcourt Brace, 1994, 1997.
- The Genre of Argument. Harcourt Brace, 1998.
- Concepts in Composition. Lawrence Erlbaum, 2003.
- Writing the Successful Thesis and Dissertation: Entering the Conversation. Prentice Hall, 2007.
- Writing in the Center: Teaching in a Writing Center Setting. 4th edition. Kendall Hunt, 2008.
- College Argument: Understanding the Genre. Kendall Hunt, 2010.
- Concepts in Composition: Theory & Practice in the Teaching of Writing. 2nd edition. Routledge, 2012.
- Genre & Mindful Transfer: Theory, Pedagogy, Possibility.
Journals Published In
- College Composition and Communication
- The Writing Center Journal
- WPA: Writing Program Adminstration
- Journal of Basic Writing
- Computers and Composition
- Writing Lab Newsletter
- WAC Journal
- Journal of Teaching Writing
- Schreiben: Grundalagentext Zur Theorie, Didaktik, und Beratung. Verlag Barbara Budrich.
- "Entering the Conversation: Graduate Thesis Proposals as Genre." Profession, 2005.
- "A Genre Approach to Writing Assignments." Composition Forum, 2006.
- "Writing and Learning in the Health Sciences." WAC Journal, 2008.
- "Genre Awareness, Academic Argument, and Transferability." with Andrea Hernandez. WAC Journal, 2011.
- "Print/New Media Transfer: Genre Issues." Journal of Teaching Writing, 2014.
- "US First-Year Composition and Writing in the Disciplines." The Routledge Companion to English Studies. Eds. Constant Leung and Brian V. Street. London, 2014.
- "Genre im Schreibenzentrum: Ein Neudefinition." Schreiben: Grundalagentext Zur Theorie, Didaktik, und Beratung. Verlag Barbara Budrich. Opladen & Toronto: UTB, 2014.
- National Writing Centers Association award for best book Writing in the Center, 1997
- National Writing Centers Association award for best article "Collaboration and Ethics in Writing Center Pedagogy," 1989
- Project Socrates Award, 1988
- Innovative Teaching Award, 1988
- Jumpstart Grant, 1996
- National Writing Centers Association Research Grant, 2000
- Judge Julian Beck Instructional Improvement Grant, 2003-2004
- Learning Centered University Grant, 2005, 2007
- Judge Julian Beck Instructional Improvement Grant, 2006-2007, 2007-2008
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Queen Mary University, London, Fall 2007
- Judge Julian Beck Instructional Improvement Grant, 2009-2010
- Research and Creative Activity Grant, 2009-2010
- Research and Creative Activity Grant, 2010-2011
- Research and Cretaive Activity Grant, 2012-2013
- College of Humanities Faculty Fellow, 2013-2014