WEEK XIV: ASSESSMENT
This week we will "assess" our work in this course. The purpose of assessment is NOT to review the professor or to do a ‘course evaluation'’ Those tasks are carried out by other means at other times. The purpose of this effort is to find out how well each student learned in this course, in other words, how well you achieved the goals
of the course. In assessment. We are interested in:
- the various tools we used to learn: did they work? how well did each work?
- the various methods we used in handling the tools: did they work? how well?
- what can be done to improve the learning process?
Using the email system, please write the professor an e-mail message (Put the words CLAS 315 ASSESS in the subject line), answering each of the following questions as best you can. This is NOT an optional assignment. An email answer is expected from each and every person registered in the course.
- (1) What is your academic level? (Fresh / Soph / Jun / Sen / Grad / Extended Learning / Other)?
- (2) What is your major? What is your minor (if you have one)?
- (3) Methodology: Did you find the lectures and readings on "Myth Tools" useful? Should there be more of this? Less?
- (4) Did you find the various pages of handouts and lecture notes on the Web Site useful? Are there things which should be added in this category? Things changed?
- (5) Internet Assignments:
- Did you think that the internet work led to you useful and interesting material?
- Did you think that the internet assignments helped you in a significant way to learn the course material?
- Would you prefer more, fewer, or the same number of internet assignments (assuming that each assignment replaced a lecture)?
- (6) Did you think that the idea of the Newsgroup for the course [Yahoo Groups] was a useful tool? Should it be continued? How could its USE be improved?*
- (7) Do you think that the course, as structured, helped you to reach the GOALS for this course? How well?
- (8) What was the most important thing that you learned during the course?
- (9) What do you think you will most remember and use in the future from the course?
- (10) Communication:
- Did you use "Virtual Office Hours"? (Sending the Professor email questions)? Did you find it useful?
- Did you use regular-style office hours (in-person interviews)? How many times? Which did you prefer?
- Did you find useful the emails the Professor sent you about internet materials and about upcoming quizzes and exams?
- (11) Is there any specific thing or things that you think the Professor could do to make the course better?
Revised: 08/19/2003, 07/31/2006
January 28, 2010 10:46 AM
John Paul Adams, CSUN