WEEK XI: DEMETER AND ELEUSIS
- To acquire an understanding about the holy site at the Greek town of Eleusis
- To acquire an understanding of the activities conducted at Eleusis by the members of the ex-royal family (Eumolpidai)
- Using information which you collect about Demeter, to share and discuss information about Demeter, Persephone and the cult activities that took place at Eleusis:
- Why is Demeter doing what she is doing?
- What exactly is Demeter doing?
- What is the intended result of being initiated in the Mysteries of Eleusis?
A grade willl be based on (a) participation; (b) new thoughts you add; (c) quality of analysis and criticism you bring to the discussion. You can start posting immediately, and go on until I tell you to stop--or until you run out of things to say.
- Eleusis (Encyclopedia Mythica)
- Pathways to Greek Myth: Eleusis
- Classical Backpacking in Greece: Eleusis
- Ancient Worlds (The Hellenic World)
- Eleusis in Art (Susan Burke, Yale University: Tufts Perseus Project)
- Pictures of Demeter (Laurel Bowman, University of Victoria)
- Demeter: "Women in Greek Myth"
- Ecole Initiative: Eleusis
- Eleusis: Fant and Lefkowitz
- An Initiate: Vettius Agorius Praetextatus and Vettia (Fant and Lefkowitz)
- Homeric Hymn: to Demeter (M. Katz)
- Eleusis and Art
January 28, 2010 10:58 AM
John Paul Adams, CSUN