Who is the Plunk?
Well, in case you are wondering, I began my existence on earth in the mid 1960s. Since that time, I have had an interesting and eventful life. I started washing dishes at Dan-N-Bakes Cafe when I was in 6th grade, and I have been working ever since. Some of the jobs I have held include:
- 14-18 years
- Maintenance man and waiter at a hotel (4 years)
- Bowling alley worker (4 years)
- Oil field supply worker (2 years)
- 19-25 years old
Lifeguard (3 summers)
- Water Production Plant Worker (euphemism for ditch digger) (1 summer)
- Bartender (6 years)
- Wheat farmer (4 years) - that would be low till, conservation farming, for those in the know
- Public school teacher (3 years) - speech, drama, debate, yearbook, newspaper, math, and psychology
- 25 years old to present
- Counselor (3 years)
- Speaker (all my life, but it wasn't until I was 25 that I realized I could get paid for it - Woo hoo! What a bonus!)
- University professor (until I retire)
- Being friendly and kind for no particular reason
- Helping and/or mentoring others
- Hiking, kayaking, fishing, and ironing, but not at the same time (well, there was that one time, but my clothes got soaked)
- Traveling - I spend a lot of time at my place in Belize, Central America
- Photography - yes, I am a digital man
- Country western dancing - yee haw!
- Flower gardening - yes, flower gardening!
- Writing poetry
- Acting in plays
- Acting silly
I value people who...
- Are honest
- Have confidence
- Are comfortable being quirky and/or silly
- Like to laugh (even at themselves)
- Are adventuresome
- Appreciate diversity
- Love to learn
- Try to make the world a better place
- If you invest your energy in good people, you will never be sorry or alone.
- Good people/friends can make an unpleasant place seem like paradise.
- People are stronger than they realize.
- Life is 10% what happens, and 90% how we perceive and react.
- The world is here to be explored and experienced.
- It is important to balance your life, so enjoy life!
- First place shipbuilding contest - 1st grade (between you and I, my dad built the ship - sshhh, our secret)
- Oklahoma State Bowling Champion - high school
- "Mr. Cinderfella Pageant" winner in college - my talent was juggling, my formal wear and bathing suit resembled a "Nerd"
- "Outstanding Actor" for the lead role in a play called "The Nerd." Hm...there seems to be a pattern developing here
- "Darn Good Guy Award" - awarded in 2000 by some very thoughtful students