Created upon the occasion of President Dianne F. Harrison’s Investiture, the Harrison Leadership Award will recognize a freshman California State University, Northridge student for his or her leadership, as demonstrated by involvement in student government, or in a campus club or organization. Characteristics of his or her leadership and involvement must be included in the required two letters of recommendation from faculty or staff members. Recipients must have a minimum 3.0 GPA at Northridge, and at the time of application have made successful progress towards completing 30 credits.
Awarded each fall, this $8,000 scholarship will recognize and support the university’s emerging student leaders, creating a culture of leadership on campus while also building our community’s next generation of leading voices.
The selection process for this scholarship will include consideration of:
- Leadership on campus
- Capacity to articulate a purpose or goal
- Ability to recruit others to share that goal
- Willingness to accept responsibility
- Determination and mental toughness
- Respect for others and fair mindedness
- Positive influence on others and collaborative nature
- Academic achievement as displayed by a minimum 3.0 GPA
A selected group of campus leaders and faculty will comprise the reading panel, who will invite selected finalists to an in-person interview.