Instructor: Dr. Deqing Ren
Classroom and Time: LO 1127, Monday and Wednesday 12:30 pm ~ 1:45 pm.
Class Number: 16508
Web page: http://www.csun.edu/~rd436460/Electromagnetic_Field.html
Instructor Office: Eucalyptus Hall 2111C
Office Hours: Wednesday 2:00 pm- 3:00pm, and by appointment
The course covers the textbook Chapter 16 Vector potential , Chapter 17 Faraday's Law of Induction, Chapter 18 magnetic Energy, Chapter 20 magnetism in the presence of matter, and Chapter 21 Maxwell's Equations, Chapter 22 Scalar and vector potentials, Chapter 24 Plane waves , Chapter 25 Reflection and refraction of plane waves, Chapter 26 Field in bounded regions , Chapter 27 Circuits and transmission , Chapter 28 Radiation. These parts have important applications and are the core of modern physics.
To gain basic knowledge, and understand the main principles, of the elctromagnetic field and their applications to specific areas. Students will learn how to find the solutions to specific questions by applying the electromagetic principles and equations. Students will be able to understand and derive important laws, including
1) Students are expected to attend class and participate by asking questions and answering questions raised by the instructors. Class attendance takes 10% of the total grade.
2) The homework assignments and quizzes make up 40% of the total grade.
3) There will be one midterm (20%) and one final exams (worth 30% of the total grade). Mark your calendar with the exam dates. You are responsible for being there on time. If you have a religious holiday conflict, let me know during the first week of classes. During an exam you must avoid looking at the work of others.
The grade distribution will be as follows.
A 88% and higher
F 40% and below
We use the +/- system so in each range (no A+), the low end will be minus and the high end plus.
1) Homework will be assigned once a time per chapter, and will be turned in one week late brfore it is due.
2) Homework solution will be posted below and replaced before next homework is due. Please download it and check your answers if you have any question to your answers.
Midterm Exam: March 16, Wednesday
Final Exam :
||Lecture On These Sections||Comments|
|Jan. 25, Monday||Introduction|
|1. Vector potential|
|2. Faraday's law of induction (Inductance)|
|3. Magnetic energy|
|4. Magnetic multipoles|
|5. Magnetism in the presence of matter|
|6. Maxwell's equations|
|7. Scalar and vector potentials|
|8. Plane waves|
|9. Reflection and refraction of plane waves|
|10. Field in bounded regions|
|May 11, Thursday||Last day of instruction|
|May 16||Final Exam||12:45pm ~ 2:45pm, LO 1127|