Instructor: Dr. Deqing Ren
Classroom and Time: LO 1127, Monday and Wednesday12:30 pm ~ 13:45 pm.
Class Number: 16797
Web page: http://www.csun.edu/~rd436460/Electromagnetic_Field.html
Instructor Office: Eucalyptus Hall 2111C
Office Hours: Wednesday 2:00 pm- 3:00pm, and by appointment
The course covers the textbook Chapter
Part 1: 1. Vectors, Chapter 2 Coulomb's law, Chapter 3 The electric field, Chapter 4 Gauss's law, Chapter 5 The scalar potential, Chapter 6 Conductors in electrostatic fields, Chapter 7 Electrostatic energy, Chapter 8 Electric multipoles, Chapter 9 Boundary conditions , Chapter 10 Electrostatic in the presence of matter , Chapter 12 Electric current and Chapter 13. Ampere's law;
Part 2: 14. The magnetic induction, 15. The integral from of Ampere's law, 16. The electric field, 17. Faraday's law of Induction, 18. Magnetic energy, 19. Magnetic Multi-poles, 20. Magnetism in the presence of matter, 21. Maxwell's equations, 22. Scalar and Vector potential, 24. Plane waves, 25. Reflection and fraction of plane waves, 26. Fields in bounded regions.
These parts have important applications and are the core of modern physics.
To gain basic knowledge, and understand the main principles, of the elctromagnetic field and their applications to specific areas. Students will learn how to find the solutions to specific questions by applying the electromagetic principles and equations. Students will be able to understand and derive important laws, including
1) Students are expected to attend class and participate by asking questions and answering questions raised by the instructors. Class attendance takes 10% of the total grade.
2) The homework assignments and quizzes make up 40% of the total grade.
3) There will be one midterm (20%) and one final exams (worth 30% of the total grade). Mark your calendar with the exam dates. You are responsible for being there on time. If you have a religious holiday conflict, let me know during the first week of classes. During an exam you must avoid looking at the work of others.
The grade distribution will be as follows.
A 88% and higher
F 40% and below
We use the +/- system so in each range (no A+), the low end will be minus and the high end plus.
1) Homework will be assigned once a time per chapter, and will be turned in one week late brfore it is due.
2) Homework solution will be posted below and replaced before next homework is due. Please download it and check your answers if you have any question to your answers.
Chapter 14 Chapter 15
Final Exam :
||Lecture On These Sections||Comments|
|Aug 30, Tuesday||Introduction|
|14. The magnetic induction|
|15. The integral from of Ampere's law|
|16. The electric field|
|17. Faraday's law of Induction|
|18. Magnetic energy|
|19. Magnetic Multi-poles|
|20. Magnetism in the presence of matter|
|21. Maxwell's equations|
|22. Scalar and Vector potential|
|24. Plane waves|
|25. Reflection and fraction of plane waves|
|26. Fields in bounded regions|
|May 10,Wednesday||Review for Final Exam||Last day of instruction|
|Final Exam : TBD||Live Oak Hall 1127|