Ellie Kazemi, PhD
Training, Supervision & Performance Management
Applied Behavioral Research Laboratory
Grad School Sample Interview Questions
The following information is offered at http://gradschool.about.com/od/interviews/a/interquest.htm
Graduate School Interview Questions
By Tara Kuther, Ph.D., About.com
Getting ready for a graduate school interview? Congratulations! Getting an interview is a significant step towards winning acceptance to the graduate program of your dreams. What questions can you expect?
· Tell me about yourself.
· What are your strengths and weaknesses?
· If you're not accepted into graduate school, what are your plans?
· Why did you choose this career?
· What do you know about our program?
· Why did you choose to apply to our program?
· What other schools are you considering?
· In what ways have your previous experience prepared you for graduate study in our program?
· Any questions?
· What do you believe your greatest challenge will be if you are accepted into this program?
· In college, what courses did you enjoy the most? The least? Why?
· Describe any research project you've worked on. What was the purpose of the project and what was your role in the project?
· How would your professors describe you?
· How will you be able to make a contribution to this field?
· What are your hobbies?
· Explain a situation in which you had a conflict and how you resolved it. What would you do differently? Why?
· Describe your greatest accomplishment.
· Tell me about your experience in this field. What was challenging? What was your contribution?
· What are your career goals? How will this program help you achieve your goals?
· How do you intend to finance your education?
· What skills do you bring to the program? How will you help your mentor in his or her research?
· Are you motivated? Explain and provide examples.
· Why should we take you and not someone else?
· What do you plan to specialize in?
· What do you do in your spare time?
· What can be determined about an applicant at an interview?