What are the Digital Humanities?
This is by no means a simple question. Some of the activities which fall under the rubric of the Digital Humanities are:
- The preservation and presentation of cultural artifacts in electronic form (e.g. digital editions of literary texts).
- The use of computers to provide new ways of approaching traditional questions, and to generate new ones, in the study of the humanities.
- The creation and use of large-scale resources in digital forms (such as archives and databases) for the investigation and analysis of humanities subjects.
- The use of computing technologies to explore and interrogate assumptions about the ways in which we study the humanities.
- The analysis of the effect of computing technologies on the objects of humanities study.
Category Archives: News
4Humanities@CSUN Treasurer Naomi Carrington has been awarded a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship to spend nine months in Rwanda. She will be teaching English reading and writing and ESL while implementing two personal side projects. Her first project is to help … Continue reading
With the recent purchase of a documentary backpack system, 4Humanities@CSUN has begun producing a series of Minidocs that will help bring exciting work of the Humanities at CSUN and elsewhere to the attention of the public. The first Minidoc in … Continue reading
Students at CSUN are engaged in an amazing variety of projects employing digital media in the exploration of the various Humanities disciplines. The Center for the Digital Humanities would like to showcase some examples of this student work. The projects … Continue reading
CDH Student Fellow Kristin Cornelius has won the Kairos award for Graduate Students and Adjuncts for Teaching. The $500 award is given by Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy to graduate students and/or adjuncts in the field of computers and … Continue reading
We are delighted to announce that our Center for the Digital Humanities Student Fellow Kristin Cornelius has been awarded a Sponsored Tuition Scholarship for the Digital Humanities Summer Institute in Victoria, BC. Congratulations, Kristin!
The Center for the Digital Humanities is delighted to announce the formation of a local chapter of 4Humanities. 4Humanities is a site created by the international community of digital humanities scholars and educators to assist in advocacy for the humanities. A … Continue reading
Redirect to From Russia to America
Digital methodologies and new media are changing the landscape of research and teaching in modern languages and literatures. Scholars can now computationally analyze entire corpora of texts or preserve and share materials through digital archives. Students can engage in authentic … Continue reading