- Give Voice www.givevoice.org
Give Voice provides a forum for speaking directly to elected officials about the issues affecting the nonprofit sector; offers e-mail and fax action alerts.
Nonprofit and Public Sector Resources
- Alliance for Justice www.afj.org
Alliance for Justice is a national association of over 100 organizations that serves as an expert on the legal framework for nonprofit advocacy efforts, providing definitive information, resources and technical assistance that encourages organizations to be active participants in the democratic process.
- AMA Foundation's Healthy Living Grant Program www.ama-assn.org
The Healthy Living Grant Program, an initiative of the AMA Foundation, supports grassroots public health projects that encourage healthy lifestyles in communities across the nation. Application guidelines and forms are available on the Foundation's website.
- Crowdrise www.crowdrise.com/charities
Crowdrise is an innovative platform for charitable causes used for peer-to-peer fundraising, event and team fundraising, and creative fundraising campaigns.
FriendRaiser™ is Crowdster’s industry third-party fundraising platform that enables nonprofits to turn supporters into fundraisers.
- Google Ad Grants is a program that provides free in-kind advertising to select nonprofit organizations. Nonprofits are eligible to receive up to $10,000 per month in-kind from AdWords, Google’s online advertising solution. Go to: https://www.google.com/grants/index.html
- Google+ is a social media platform operated by Google, Inc. It allows organizations to share updates, photos, and videos with the community. Google Plus acts as a central location for applications such as Youtube, Gmail, Google Analytics, etc. Go to: https://plus.google.com/
- GuideStar www.guidestar.org
GuideStar provides information listings based on IRS 990s for all incorporated nonprofit organizations in the U.S.
- HandsNet www.handsnet.org
HandsNet promotes information sharing, cross-sector collaboration and advocacy among individuals and organizations working on issues of public interest.
- Idealist www.idealist.org
The Idealist maintains a global directory of nonprofit-related information including lists of nonprofit organizations, consultants, products, services, publications and events, as well as job listings.
- Iknow www.iknow.org
Iknow maintains a clearinghouse for links to websites on nonprofit information.
- IRS Nonprofit Requirements www.irs.gov
Beginning with the 2010 tax year, the IRS has eased filing requirement for Form 990, announcing that organizations with gross receipts normally less than or equal to $50,000 can file Form 990-N (e-postcard). For additional information, go to: Form 990 Resources.
Information about IRS assistance available to nonprofits on 990-N filings is provided in an article from Guidestar, which also includes links to relevant IRS documents, as well as other resources for help. To read the article, go to: IRS to Offer Relief to 990-N Filers.
- Lessons Learned Toolsite http://arts.endow.gov/resources/lessons/index.html
The Toolsite is a compendium of planning advice from professional arts consultants; tool site has information for nonprofits from all disciplines, missions and visions.
- LitLamp www.litlamp.com
LitLamp provides a forum for posting sponsorship opportunities in listings used by corporate marketers.
- Nonportal www.nonportal.org
Nonportal serves as a portal where nonprofit resource providers share information.
- Nonprofit Centers Network www.nonprofitcenters.org/about-us
Nonprofit Centers Network is a community of nonprofit and philanthropic leaders and professionals from the financial, real estate, and public sectors dedicated to sharing knowledge and networks for creating and operating quality nonprofit workspace. The NonprofitCenters Network is a program of Tides Shared Spaces, which operates and promotes sustainable workspace for nonprofits and strengthens nonprofit capacity in the real estate arena.
- Nonprofit Genie www.genie.org
Nonprofit Genie maintains a collection of FAQs on a variety of topics of interest to nonprofits, including board development, financial management, fundraising, strategic planning, technology, etc.
- Nonprofit Matrix www.nonprofitmatrix.com
The Matrix is an online guide to commercial application service providers that serve the nonprofit sector.
- Nonprofits Talking Taxes http://nonprofitstalkingtaxes.org/resources/
Nonprofits Talking Taxes is an interactive website that covers what nonprofits need to know about the California budget and how it affects education, healthcare and public safety. There are also links to other sites that further define the word usage and meaning of various tax-related documents.
- Npower www.npower.org
Npower provides assessment and planning, hands-on assistance, skills building classes, technology library and technology volunteers for nonprofits
- PR Newswire www.prnewswire.com
PR Newswire helps nonprofits conduct dialogues with the media, consumers, policymakers, investors and the general public, in support of building brands, generating awareness, impacting public policy, driving sales and raising capital.
- SocialEdge www.socialedge.org
SocialEdge is an online community for the social sector; includes discussion forums with topics of interest to nonprofit organizations.
- Techsoup,to which VNR refers Valley nonprofits for reduced-priced software, has assembled a roster of fundraising tools:
- SimpleCharityRegistration.com provides state charity registration services to eligible nonprofit organizations throughout the US. It can be used to create initial, renewal, or extension charity registration forms to solicit donations in the 39 states that require registration and Washington, D.C. https://www.simplecharityregistration.com/
- Bidcoz provides access to discounted rates for online or on-site auction and event ticketing services to eligible nonprofits and public libraries throughout the US. https://www.bidcoz.com/
- CauseVox provides online fundraising software to eligible nonprofits and public libraries throughout the US. It can be used to create fundraising sites that support donation pages, crowdfunding campaigns, and peer-to-peer fundraising pages for individuals and teams. https://www.causevox.com/
- Exceed! Premier fundraising and donor management software for small to medium-sized nonprofits manages information about donors, prospects, board members, and other constituents; organizes and tracks donor gifts, pledges, and dues; creates reports to target and analyze campaigns; and creates emails, letters, and labels for marketing campaigns. http://www.techsoup.org/products/exceed!-premier-8.7-(discounted)--G-49939--
- Connect2give provides mobile donation and communication services to eligible nonprofits, charities, and public libraries throughout the US. Services can be used to collect donations and update constituents with important information via mobile devices and mobile web. http://www.connect2give.com/
- Fundly CRMis cloud-based, all-in-one data management software for managing grants, donors, members, volunteers, events, tasks, communications, and programs. http://www.fundlycrm.com/
- PhilanTech provides online grants management software to eligible nonprofits and foundations throughout the US. Nonprofits can use PhilanTech software to find new funders, write grant proposals more efficiently, track deadlines and due dates, and manage all grant information in a secure centralized location. Foundations can use PhilanTech software to accept proposals, manage and track grantee information, and analyze applicant data. https://www.altum.com/
- Teespring provides an online crowdfunding and fundraising platform to eligible nonprofits and public libraries throughout the US. Teespring can be used to raise funds for a cause by offering custom-branded apparel and products through a web-based campaign that doesn't require any upfront costs. https://teespring.com/
- Little Green Light is cloud-based donor management software. From a single interface, a nonprofit can manage donors, volunteers, members, alumni, events, and fundraising campaigns. https://www.littlegreenlight.com/
- DonorPerfect provides fundraising and donor management software to eligible nonprofits and public libraries throughout the US. Its web-based interface can be used to track donors, prospects, volunteers, and memberships and record and acknowledge gifts, pledges, grants, constituents, and contacts. https://www.donorperfect.com/
- This table compares all the donor management tools offered. https://www.techsoup.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/donor-management-comparison-document.pdf
- U.S. Census Bureau Statistics by County http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd
The Bureau provides statistics at county level for grant proposals, as well as quick facts on population.
- Wild Apricot Blog www.wildapricot.com
Wild Apricot has a blog for volunteers, webmasters and administrators of associations and nonprofits; discusses issues and trends in web technologies that can help an organization do more with less. Topics of discussion change daily. Membership starts at $25 a month.
- YouthGiving.org www.youthgiving.org
YouthGiving is a sustainable online, curated hub for youth giving to build awareness, knowledge, and collaboration.
Nonprofit Job/Career Resources
- Bridgespan Nonprofit Jobs Center https://www.bridgespan.org/jobs
Bridgespan allows nonprofit professionals to explore open positions in the sector or post open positions on the job board.
- Community Career Center www.nonprofitjobs.org
Community Career Center addresses the employment needs of individuals and organizations in the nonprofit world.
- Dot Org Jobs www.dotorgjobs.com
Dot Org Jobs is an online employment resource for the nonprofit sector.
- ExecSearches.com www.execsearches.com
ExecSearches provides executive and senior management job listings and executive search services for nonprofits.
- Nonprofit Career Network www.nonprofitcareer.com
The Network serves as a resource center for finding nonprofit jobs and volunteer opportunities.
- Nonprofit Jobs Cooperative www.nonprofitjobscoop.org
The Cooperative is a collaboration of nonprofit management centers across the U.S. to provide a one-stop source for job seekers to search for nonprofit jobs, and employers to publish job opportunities.
- SUNlink http://www.csun.edu/career/instructions-posting-jobs-and-internships
Nonprofits can post jobs and internships free of charge using California State University Northridge's online job board.
- Work for Good www.workforgood.org
Work for Good is a national job board dedicated to helping nonprofits and others connect with job seekers looking to make a difference through working for a nonprofit organization.
Nonprofit Management Resources
- About.com Nonprofit Charitable Organizations https://www.thebalancesmb.com/non-profit-4161501
A general resource for nonprofits that includes diverse information on everything from starting a nonprofit to fundraising.
- BDO’s Nonprofit & Education Resource Centerwww.bdo.com/resource-centers/institute-for-nonprofit-excellence
The BDO Center is a resource for topics relevant to nonprofit organizations.
- Board Café www.boardcafe.org
Board Café provides a free monthly electronic newsletter written for Board members and Executive Directors.
- Board Source www.boardsource.org
Board Source develops and distributes resources for board members and organizations, and maintains a large online bookstore.
- Commonfund www.commonfund.org
Commonfund is a financial investment organization designed to enhance the financial resources of nonprofit institutions and help them improve investment management practices.
- Management Assistance Program for Nonprofits www.mapfornonprofits.org
The program is a source of templates and materials for nonprofit managers.
- Network for Good Learning Center www.fundraising123.org/
The Center provides easy and affordable online fundraising services including access to publications, a weekly e-newsletter, and free training for other nonprofits.
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center www.nonprofitrisk.org
The Center provides a variety of online publications, newsletter, library and consulting services to help nonprofits minimize legal risks.
- NOZA www.nozasearch.com
NOZA is a web site that helps charities identify prospective donors using a searchable database that contains donor names, donation types, and other information about recipient organizations.
- PolicyMap Data Generator www.policymap.com
PolicyMap Data Generator is a geographic information generator that allows users to create custom maps, tables, and charts.
- Spin Project www.spinproject.org
The Spin Project offers a web-based template for creating a communications plan and facilitating better communication for nonprofits.
- WhatGives!? www.facebook.com/WhatGives
WhatGives!? maintains a calendar of conferences targeted specifically to nonprofits.
- Charity Channel http://charitychannel.com
Best known for its nonprofit arena e-mail discussion forums, Charity Channel discusses such topics as grants and foundations, the law of tax exempt organizations, college and university advancement, health care philanthropy, arts and social organization fund raising, international fund raising, mentoring and more.
- Foundation Center http://foundationcenter.org/
The Foundation Center provides online resources for fundraising news, grantmaker information, an online library and a marketplace of related books, CD-ROMs and seminars.
- Philanthropy News Network www.pnnonline.org
Philanthropy News Network is a nonprofit daily online news service for nonprofits offered by the Support Center for Nonprofit Management in New York City. It provides up-to-date articles concerning what's happening in the nonprofit sector and also provides listings of conferences, seminars, and jobs.
- Foundation Center's Search Tool Foundation Center
The Foundation Center's Search Tool provides free online access to foundation contact info, financial data, program priorities, and IRS Forms 990.
- Microsoft NGO Connection www.microsoft.com
Microsoft NGO Connection provides free or discounted software applications, training and certification information, and discussion forums to nonprofits to help them use technology more effectively and to access the resources Microsoft and its partners offer.
- Nonprofit Technology Network www.nten.org
The Network connects and supports individuals and organizations who empower nonprofits to use technology.
- Tech Soup www.techsoup.org
Tech Soup is a portal for all topics dealing with nonprofits and technology. Techsoup Webinars are available on everything from Mobile Technology for Advocacy and Activism to Storytelling and Social Media, to A Roadmap for Microsoft Training. These webinars are available at convenient times, and are also free. The Webinars page lists all archived and upcoming topics. Go to: www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/index.cfm
- Energize www.energizeinc.com
Energize provides a portal on volunteer management, including books, links, articles, interviews and more.
- Points of Light Institute www.pointsoflight.org
Points of Light Institute provides information on volunteer management.
- ServeNet www.servenet.org
ServedNet is a posting service for volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteer Match www.volunteermatch.org
Volunteer Match provides a listing of volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteering in America www.volunteeringinamerica.gov
Volunteering in America is an initiative of the U.S. Corporation for National and Community Service; its website offers in-depth information on volunteering activities, tools, and resources throughout the U.S.