Board of Directors
Over the last few years, the USU Board of Directors (BOD) and its committees have launched popular CSUN student destinations including the Student Recreation Center, Oasis Wellness Center, Pride Center and Veterans Resource Center. The BOD also approved making the DREAM Center a department of the University Student Union in 2020.
As the student leaders of a non-profit auxiliary of the CSUN campus, the Board of Directors is primarily responsible for developing policy for the USU. The overall purposes and responsibilities of the BOD are to maintain USU buildings and facilities, oversee financial matters, facilitate programs and adopt policies in the best interest of students, in keeping with the policies set forth by the Trustees of the California State University system and CSUN.
Start doing more now for your campus through involvement with the University Student Union Board of Directors.
Are you interested in joining the USU BOD? There are three ways to get involved:
- Run for a seat on the BOD in the Spring Elections. Each spring, students run in the AS/USU elections for five of the ten student seats.
- Apply for an open seat on the BOD if there are any vacancies. Contact the BOD Assistant to find out about any current vacancies.
- Join a USU Board of Directors standing committee to learn about the USU and BOD while developing skills for the future. The standing committees include: the audit committee, the facilities and commercial services committee, the finance committee, and the personnel committee. Students who serve on committees and demonstrate leadership potential are always encouraged to run for a seat on the BOD.
Students who serve on the BOD or a committee must have a minimum cumulative and semester 2.0 GPA, and must have completed at least one semester at California State University, Northridge.
Meet the Board
Gisselle Olmedo Torres, Chair
Gisselle is a first-generation Latinx student, majoring in Film Production with a minor in Popular Culture Studies. During her three years at CSUN, Gisselle has been involved in New Student Orientation as an Orientation Leader, as a member in the Finance Committee, Chair of Diversity and Inclusion Committee as well as participating as the Board Representative in the Student Fee Advisory Committee. Most recently she has been involved with the New Heart of Campus project, providing her opinion and using her voice for the betterment of the students, and served as Chair for the Personnel Committee. Now in her new role as Vice Chair for the Board of Directors, she plans on creating more open and accessible communication between Board members and the student body. She is excited to push the social media initiative forward and connect more with CSUN as a whole.
Christian Lipton, Vice Chair
Chair, Retirement Plan Committee
Christian currently serves as Lambda Chi Alpha’s Recruitment Chairman, IFC's Vice President, and is the former Event Coordinator for Camp Kesem and Administration assistant for USU Marketing. His goal is to engage with students to understand their needs, bring an energized attitude to the board, and promote unity throughout campus by showcasing ideas that can increase engagement. He is an award-winning content creator who is excited to bring his own form of creativity to the USU.
Christopher Aldana, Student Representative
Chair, Facilities and Operations Committee
Melissa Baghoumian, Student Representative
Chair, Finance Committee
Mishell De Leon, Student Representative
Chair, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Nikki Garcia, Student Representative
Co-Chair, Personnel Committee
Adrian Hernandez, Student Representative
Co-Chair, Finance Committee
Daniel Moreno, Student Representative
Chair, Personnel Committee
Sankalp Pala, Student Representative
Co-Chair, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Isela Vidauri, Student Representative
Co-Chair, Facilities and Operations Committee
Debra L. Hammond, Executive Secretary
Benjamin Plotkin, Staff Representative
Dr. Freddie Sánchez, University Representative
Dr. Edith Winterhalter, University Representative
Dr. Mirna Troncoso Sawyer, Faculty Representative
Shayan Moshtael, Associated Students President*
*This position serves as a liaison to the Board of Directors and is not eligible to vote.
2022-23 BOD Strategic Goals
- The University Student Union (USU) Board of Directors (BOD) Chair and Vice Chair will meet with USU student assistant employees to introduce them to the BOD and the role that the Board plays in supporting student success.
- The USU BOD will advocate for the USU’s New Heart of Campus project (or a modified version) through comprehensive, strategic, and transparent communication to students, staff, and alumni.
- The USU BOD will create accessible grants and other support programs to aid students toward graduation completion.
- July 18, 2022
- Aug. 29, 2022
- Sept. 12, 2022
- Oct. 24, 2022
- Nov. 14, 2022
- Dec. 5, 2022
- Jan. 23, 2023
- Feb. 13, 2023
- March 6, 2023
- April 10, 2023
- May 8, 2023
- June 5, 2023
- June 12, 2023
All meetings are held at 12:30 p.m. in the Grand Salon.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, these meetings may be modified and/or offered virtually.
If you would like more information about the BOD or are interested in applying for an open position, please provide your information below and we’ll be in touch soon.