Writing Lab Tutors are graduate and undergraduate students with strong writing skills from multiple disciplines.
If you are enrolled in "Approaches to University Writing" 113, 114, or 115 in any department, or in University 100, you are invited to make an appointment by calling (818) 677-2033, or coming in person to Oviatt 300. Students without appointments are not guaranteed a spot, so it is better to call in advance. Please check in with the student assistant at the desk before entering the lab area.
- Tutors are ready to help students become better writers by acting as advanced peer readers. They can help students think through their projects, model strategies, and share information about academic conventions.
- They will not edit papers, but will offer strategies and support as freshman writers gain practice finding and fixing their own errors.
You can find tutors' available hours here.
The LRC is excited to announce the opening of our Online Writing Center!
The Online Writing Lab offers individual tutoring for students writing papers in classes in any discipline. The Online Writing Lab Consultants are part-time faculty at CSUN. We can also see students with practice UDWPE, personal statements, resumes, and more.
To meet with a consultant online, you will need to “join” our Canvas page. Be aware, this is not an actual course. It is simply the way to access our online tutoring services. You may “un-enroll” at any time, but we recommend you remain enrolled for as long as you are a student here at CSUN, so that you have access to our online services.
To join us, please navigate to our Canvas page and confirm your enrollment by clicking on "Enroll in Course": Click here to visit the LRC Online Writing Lab and gain access to Online writing help!
Further instructions will be provided on the home page of the Canvas site, once you are enrolled and gain access.
*Unfortunately, we cannot see First Year Composition students or UDWPE Post Exam students at this time.
The Graduate Student Online Feedback (for thesis and larger projects) offers asynchronous tutoring. You will send an excerpt or project (up to 25 pages in length) and within 72 hours, consultants will return your work with feedback. Send your excerpt to
, along with your prompt, specific questions and concerns you have about your project, as well as specific goals you have for the assignment that you'd like the consultant to be aware of. The consultants are part-time lecturers at CSUN, so the focus will be on helping you develop and improve your own writing.
Please be aware:
- Our feedback will not include line-editing; rather we will identify consistent errors and explain them.
- In order to ensure the most productive experience, please consider narrowing your desired areas for feedback.
- In times of heavy traffic, we may take up to a week to provide feedback.
- Although our consultants are happy to look at an assignment at any stage, asynchronous tutoring works best on projects that are further along in their development. For help with brainstorming, conceptualizing, and projects that are not fully formed, we recommend coming in to the Writing Center and meeting with consultants in person.