Writing Lab consultants are graduate and undergraduate students with strong writing skills from multiple disciplines.
If you are enrolled in a first year writing course or any 100 or 200 level course that involves reading, writing, and /or presenting, you are invited to make an appointment by calling (818) 677-2033, or coming in person to Oviatt 300. Students without appointments are not guaranteed a spot, so it is better to call in advance. Please check in with the student assistant at the desk before entering the lab area.
- Consultants are ready to help students become better writers by acting as advanced readers. They can help students think through their projects, model strategies, and share information about academic conventions.
- They will not edit papers, but will offer strategies and support as writers gain practice finding and fixing their own errors.
You can find consultants' available hours here.
The Online Writing Lab offers individual consultations for students writing papers in classes in any discipline. The Online Writing Lab Consultants are part-time faculty at CSUN. We can also see students with practice UDWPE, personal statements, resumes, and more.
To meet with a consultant online, you will need to “join” our Canvas page. Be aware, this is not an actual course. It is simply the way to access our online tutoring services. You may “un-enroll” at any time, but we recommend you remain enrolled for as long as you are a student here at CSUN, so that you have access to our online services.
Click here for more information
To join us, please navigate to our Canvas page and confirm your enrollment by clicking on "Enroll in Course": Click here to visit the LRC Online Writing Lab and gain access to Online writing help!
Further instructions will be provided on the home page of the Canvas site, once you are enrolled and gain access.
*Unfortunately, we cannot see UDWPE Post Exam appointments as our consultants will not have access to the exams.
The Graduate Student Online Feedback (for thesis and larger projects) offers asynchronous feedback on your writing. You will send an excerpt or project (up to 10 pages in length at a time, depending on the type of help you need) and within 72 hours, consultants will return your work with feedback containing suggestions for revision.
There are two types of review that our consultants can do:
- Close reading of up to 5 pages. A consultant will look for issues with grammar and structure on a line-by-line level. They will identify patterns in the types of errors they find, and will mark them for you, but will not revise or fix them.
- Overview of up to 10 pages. A consultant will review the thesis or focus of you project or excerpt, along with overall organization. The consultant will also review the writing in relation to the requirements of the assignment.
In order to submit your excerpt or project, please fill out this form: Asynchronous Graduate Feedback Submission Form. We will look at your response, and if your work is approved, you will be contacted to submit your project for a consultant to review.
- In order to ensure the most productive experience, please consider narrowing your desired areas for feedback.
- In times of heavy traffic, we may take up to a week to provide feedback.
- Although our consultants are happy to look at an assignment at any stage, asynchronous tutoring works best on projects that are further along in their development. For help with brainstorming, conceptualizing, and projects that are not fully formed, we recommend coming in to the Writing Center and meeting with consultants in person.