The LRC Online Writing Services:
Please note: all of our tutoring has been moved to an online format in an abundance of caution due to COVID-19. Please visit our Canvas page to access our online tutoring services.
1. The Online Writing Lab:
The Learning Resource Center’s Writing Consultants are now offering online tutoring sessions via Zoom conferencing. To make an online tutoring appointment, you must first be enrolled in the LRC Online Canvas Site. Please watch the video below for information on how our online writing consultations work as well as how to sign up and take part!
2. Asynchronous Feedback for Graduate Students:
The Asynchronous Graduate Student Feedback service is for graduate-level students working on their thesis or other larger projects (up to 25 pages at a time).
Here's how it works:
- You email us at firstname.lastname@example.org your work (.doc or .docx files) with a brief description, and any specific questions or goals you may have. If your submission request is approved, we will begin our work on your project.
- A consultant will read through part of your work, and give a diagnosis with recommendations on what kind of assistance your work could benefit from.
- We will email you with the consultant's suggestions from our menu of assistance, along with estimates for how long each suggestion will take. We will also take this opportunity to ask any questions we may have.
- Once you have gotten back to us with your decision, we will assign your work to consultants who have designated goals for your feedback.
- Once we are done with your work, you will be notified and your document will be sent back to you with comments. You will also have the opportunity to make an appointment to meet live with one of the consultants to discuss the comments and design a plan for your revisions.
- To eliminate technological issues on our side, please only send .doc or .docx files.
- If you email us on a Friday afternoon or during a weekend, you may not hear back from us until the following business day (most likely a Monday).
- In order to ensure the most productive experience, please check your email frequently and respond to us in a timely manner.
- In times of heavy traffic, we may take up to a week to provide feedback.
- Although our consultants are happy to look at an assignment at any stage, asynchronous tutoring works best on projects that are further along in their development. For help with brainstorming, conceptualizing, and projects that are not fully formed, we recommend making an appointment for a real-time consultation with one of our Upper Division Faculty Consultants.
- Possible reasons why your request for feedback would not be approved:
- you are requesting feedback on a personal statement or application (these need live appointments)
- you are not following our rules and policies outlined above
If you have any questions, please send us an email at email@example.com
We look forward to working with you!
To access any of our online writing services, you will need to join our Canvas course.
See below for instructions.
- Log in to your CSUN account by entering your User ID and Password when prompted.
- Enroll in the LRC Online Writing Lab Course.
- After successfully enrolling, click “Go to the Course.”
- Once on the Homepage, you may sign up for Online Tutoring, Asynchronous Graduate Tutoring, and more.