Fall 2013 – First-Time Transfer Advising Checklist

Welcome to California State University, Northridge

Download & Print (.pdf)

This transfer student  checklist will guide you through the necessary steps to enroll successfully at Cal State Northridge. It’s an exciting time but it can be confusing. University policies and requirements may differ from those of your previous institution. This step-by-step advice should smooth your transition and help you avoid common pitfalls.

  1. The required coursework that you need to transfer to CSUN (minimum of 60 units, including the 4 basic subjects, and 2.0 GPA) must be completed by the end of the Spring 2013 term. No Summer 2013 coursework will be considered for Fall 2013 admission.  All final, official transcripts must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by August 16, 2013 (please see #11 below).
  2. All admitted first-time transfer students must file their " Intent to Register " no later than 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 . (If admitted after June 18, file intent within 14 days of your admission date.)
  3. Activate your CSUN Account. Locate the “Activate CSUN User ID and Password” letter you received from Admissions and Records and log into “ myNorthridge ” Portal at . Read and accept the campus information technology policy. Follow the instructions to set up your account and enter any other information as prompted.  For help, visit the Information Technology Help Center . Use your User ID and Password to log into your CSUN Gmail account regularly to check for important University notices.
  4. Check your application status for missing items. Log into myNorthridge at , locate My Checklist , and review your Incomplete Tasks . Learn more at My Admissions Checklist .
  5. Prepare to register and remember important dates. Beginning April 24, 2013, watch your mailbox for the Fall 2013 Registration Access Mailer . It contains your enrollment appointment, the earliest date and time you can go online to register in classes.

You will receive a paper Registration Access Mailer for your first semester only.  Thereafter, visit the Semester Bulletin for registration news and calendars. Your registration appointment and any holds also display in “My Checklist.”

Beginning with your enrollment time, through July 14, 2013 , you may enroll in classes online through “ myNorthridge ” and the SOLAR Student Center.  Beginning July 15 , 2013, you may continue to access online registration. No appointment is required. For additional dates, see the Semester Bulletin .

Enrollment is limited to 13 units during the enrollment by appointment period and will increase beginning July 15, 2012.  You are encouraged to make every unit count by enrolling in courses required for your degree and not dropping courses as this will negatively impact your graduation plan.

Fall 2013 classes begin Monday, August 26, 2013. Saturday-only and Friday-Saturday classes begin August 24.

  1. Review the University Catalog prior to meeting with an academic advisor. The Catalog describes every major, all courses CSUN offers, and provides vital information about academic policies and university regulations. The Catalog is available online at .
  2. Make an appointment with your academic advisor. Students who seek advisement before registering are more likely to enroll in the courses they need and less likely to make errors that can cost time and money. Meeting with an academic advisor is the best way to take all the necessary steps that will lead to timely graduation.

Find your major department at Academic Programs and contact the department to make an appointment with your academic advisor.   Remember,University policies and deadlines will differ from those of your previous institution; your advisor will help with the transition.

Academic advisement is strongly encouraged for all transfer students; some majors require it. If your major requires advisement before registration, you will see an advisement hold in your account in two places: My Checklist and the SOLAR Student Center. The hold will be cleared only when you meet with your advisor.  To view registration holds, log into “ myNorthridge ” with your CSUN User ID and Password, locate My Checklist and review the Incomplete Tasks section.

  1. Be on time for your advisement appointment.  Purchase a one-day campus parking permit for $6.00. Arrive on campus early to locate your major department. Download freeway directions and a campus map .  While on campus, you may also want to visit Financial Aid and Scholarships , Housing , the Oviatt Library , or other campus resources that you can locate from the CSUN home page .
  2. Check out special General Education (GE) classes just for new transfers .  Cal State Northridge offers special sections of some upper division GE classes just for new transfer students.  These classes combine subject matter content with information about University resources, culture and requirements.  The reserved classes are also a great place to make friends and get oriented to your new University (enrollment is based on availability). View the offerings here .
  3. Find out if you need a department exam . The Math Placement Test (MPT) and/or Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) may be required for students planning to major in Engineering, Computer Sciences, Science or Math.
  4. Bring your unofficial transcripts for all courses taken at a community college or another four-year university to your advisement meeting. 

REMINDER: Official transcripts must be postmarked or hand delivered by August 16, 2013 . Your final transcript(s) must show that the minimum requirements for transfer admission (60 units, including the 4 basic subjects, and 2.0 GPA) have been met. Use My Academic Planner (MAP) , your interactive Degree Progress Report (DPR), to check the placement of your transfer courses into CSUN major and degree requirement sections.  Your advisor will assist you with learning how to use these tools.  For a preview, see the How To Guides on Interpreting DPR and MAP and Using MAP to Plan Courses. If your transcripts have not yet been evaluated, your transfer courses will not yet display in MAP/DPR. You may visit to find California community college and CSUN course equivalents.  Bring a list of these courses with you to your advising appointment.

  1. Prepare questions and a tentative class schedule to review with your advisor .  Review the transfer plan for your major at for the suggested sequence of classes.  Use Class Search to look up the courses you want.  Prepare a tentative schedule with alternate choices using the Schedule Planning Worksheet .

For help navigating Class Search, “myNorthridge” and the SOLAR Student Center, see the How To Guides .  For registration calendars, visit the Semester Bulletin.


  1. Register for classes.  As a transfer student, you may register for classes independently beginning with the date provided in your Registration Access Mailer and in My Checklist if your holds are resolved.  Registering on your set date will give you the best selection of classes and times. However, your access to the online registration system continues from your priority date through September 13, 2013.  Students may wait list for closed classes beginning with Nonrestrictive Registration on July 15 through September 2, Labor Day.   During the wait list period, no permission numbers are required to add classes (except restricted classes). Permission numbers are required to add all classes during the second and third weeks of instruction, beginning September 3.  The last day to add or drop classes online is  September 13 .
  2. Pay your tuition and other fees on time. Payment is due when you register in classes, but no later than the deadlines published in the Fee Payment Schedule.  Due dates vary by registration date.  If you do not pay on time, you will be disenrolled from courses.  Get details on tuition and fees, payment due dates, installment plans and more at University Cash Services .

It is the sole responsibility of the student to withdraw from classes.  Failure to follow formal withdrawal procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees, the assignment of failing grades, and the need to reapply for admission to the university.

  1. For important updates and University notices, log into “myNorthridge” with your CSUN User ID and Password. Regularly check your CSUN Gmail, too, by logging into .  CSUN Gmail is an official means of University communication.
  2. Be sure to meet the CSU immunization requirement for measles, rubella and hepatitis B. If you attended a California public middle or high school, you have probably met the requirement. If not, complete the measles and rubella immunization requirement during your first semester of classes.  Complete the hepatitis B requirement during your second semester. For more information, including the consequences of non-compliance and other immunization considerations, see the Klotz Student Health Center website Immunization Requirements .
  3. Sign up for the New Transfer Student Orientation to learn about the University, receive useful information, and meet other transfer students.  Call 818-677-4100 or go to to register before July 19, 2013 if possible.
  4. Register for the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) during your first semester.  Undergraduate students are encouraged to take the UDWPE as early as possible, but must take the exam no later than the semester in which 75 units will be completed.  Transfer students entering the University who will have completed 75 units by the end of their first semester must attempt the exam during their first semester at CSUN.  Students who have not attempted the UDWPE by the completion of 75 units will have a hold placed on their subsequent class registration.  Information on the exam including registration details is located at .