Emphasis is on the receiver of the service. Person decides to help, usually a one-time service opportunity without pay. Not tied to a course.
- One day beach clean up
- Read Across America-read books at a school
- Pack food boxes at a shelter
Emphasis is on the receiver and how the service can make a difference over time. It is done with non-profits and is organized volunteerism. Not tied to a course.
- Tutor a child in math for a semester&
- Help build a house or structure
- Ongoing park clean up
This is a capstone experience in the field that applies skills learned in a credential or certificate program. The focus is on student learning.
- Student teaching in a school
- Nursing practicum in a hospital
- Field work in a social services office
An internship is usually a capstone experience (more than 45 hours) where a student applies skills and material covered from a series of classes into the field. This experience normally requires no weekly reflection of the student, yet requires this student to culminate the semester with a project or research paper.
- Working in a congressional office
- Working in social services office
- Working in a health organization
Community-based Learning (Service Learning)
The focus is equally on student learning and service to the community. Academic content is blended with community service hours (10-45 hours) and students reflect on the connections between the classroom content and service placement. Tied to courses where content and service are equally balanced.
- Students use architectural concepts to design and build a new wing to a non-profit
- Teachers design and teach arts lessons in an afterschool program and mentor staff
- Business students create a marketing plan for a non-profit