The UDWPE remains suspended through Summer 2022.
Update on 10/25/21:
CSUN has suspended the GWAR requirement for degree recipients who will graduate in Fall 2021, Spring 2022, or Summer 2022. You do not need to do anything, your DPR will be updated automatically.
- Undergraduate students can now meet the GWAR through upper division general education classes. Please check your DPR or consult your advisor for details.
- Courses with WPE scores as prerequisites are open to upper division students who have met any other requisites.
- Graduate students should contact their graduate coordinators for details about the requirement.
CSUN uses the UDWPE to meet the GWAR requirement. The CSUN GWAR Policy has been amended (8/2021):
All students must demonstrate competency in writing skills as a requirement for graduation. At CSUN, all students who have met the lower division writing requirement, completed 56 units or more, and intend to graduate with a baccalaureate or master’s degree are required to demonstrate their writing proficiency in one of two ways.
- Students may pass an essay examination as a demonstration of their proficiency in writing. The Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam will be offered throughout the academic year. See the Testing Center website for test dates, test fee and registration.
- Students may meet the GWAR requirement by receiving a grade of “C” or better in a minimum of 6 units of coursework in the upper division portion of the General Education curriculum.
Undergraduate students are required to meet the Graduation Writing Requirement no later than the semester in which they complete 90 units. Students who have not met this requirement by the completion of 90 units may have a registration hold placed on their subsequent registration.
Main page updated 10/25/21