The Council is charged with communicating with the colleges/units they represent about CSUN’s international relationships and initiatives. To foster this ability to share best practices and ideas, Council members will participate in a set of seminars/conversations on topical issues in international education that are built into the meetings. Council members work with departmental faculty liaisons for international education to ensure that faculty and students understand the international opportunities available and are encouraged to avail themselves of those that will enhance their academic work as a faculty member or their achievements as a student preparing for work and life in an increasingly global economy and community.
The purpose of the California State University, Northridge University International Education Council is to provide university-wide consideration of the academic value of proposed international relationship/initiative brought before the Council in light the Priority Outcomes and Academic Values Guiding CSUN International Programs, Services and Relationships.
The Council will meet during the academic year no more than two times per semester. These meetings will generally be divided into two parts.
The first half will be a topical seminar on a particular University international capability/practice/option. These segments of the meeting might include topics such as: an overview of CSU and CSUN options to give CSUN students an international experience and the departmental strategies being used at CSUN and other institutions nationally to expand the international experiences of students in different majors; CSU and national trends in internationalizing the curriculum; international models for giving students a global experience; and the like. These seminar segments of the Council meetings will be planned by the Council chair in collaboration with CSU, CSUN, and national leadership on international education with the goal of ensuring that CSUN Council members, and departmental international liaisons are informed and engaged in forefront conversations about the globalization of higher education in its emerging forms and models.
This topical/seminar component of each meeting is also open to members of the CSUN Network of Departmental International Liaisons that wish to attend.
The second half of the meeting will be an advisory discussion of new CSUN international proposals/initiatives/ideas as described below in the charge.
Communication and consultation between meetings will be done via digital options.
This International Education Council is under the purview of University Senior International Officer (USIO) or her designee, which will be responsible for convening this council at regular intervals and/or whenever the need for committee action arises. The USIO or her designee will serve as the chair of the Council.
Council appointments will become effective at the beginning of the Fall Semester and will expire at the end of the Summer Term. USIO’s office will distribute a list of members of the International Education Council before the start of the Fall Semester (in early Summer Term whenever possible).
Faculty and staff council members will serve three-year staggered terms unless otherwise specified; students serve one-year terms. A description of the makeup of the Council follows.
The council members shall comprise the following:
- Nine members representing each of the colleges and the library. These members will be appointed by the dean of the college/library from the departmental faculty liaisons for international education in the college/library in question (note: each department has an international liaison appointed by the department chair each year in the Spring Semester to serve for one year starting the Fall Semester – these appointments are requested each Spring Semester by the University Senior International Officers or designee – they are renewable appointments). College/library members on the Council serve for a threeyear term that is renewable twice;
- One representative from the CSUN International Programs, Partnerships, and Pathways unit in the Tseng College appointed by the dean of the Tseng College for a renewable three-year term;
- One representative from the CSUN International and Exchange Student Center appointed by the VP for Student Affairs for a renewable three-year term;
- One representative from CSUN Admission and Records appointed by the Vice Provost for a renewable three-year term;
- One international student appointed by the VP for Student Affairs for a renewable one-year term;
- The Provost will appoint one additional representative for each CSUN Center or Institute that has a primarily international charge and a strong record of significant University-level international work (such as, the CSUN China Institute) for a renewable three-year term.
- One representative from CSUN’s advisory community appointed by the Associate Vice President for Student Success.