Students and Faculty Traveling Internationally for a Non-Credit Academic Experience
Before planning any international travel, the traveler must determine if the planned travel destination has an active travel alert or warning. Several resources to assist in identifying which countries/destinations are considered high risk can be found on the U.S. State Department Travel Warning List and the CSUN Insurance and Risk Management website.
Planned international field trips or international internships or international service learning to locations listed by U.S. State Department and/or the CSURMA as a high hazardous or war risk destination require additional approvals, longer review times, and higher levels of insurance in keeping with CSU international travel risk requirements.
The first step for approval of international travel is to purchase insurance through CSUN’s Office of Insurance and Risk Management. The following documentation will be required as part of the overall application for approval:
- Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) Documentation (provided by Cyndi Paull)
- Approval of Travel Request Form with all required signatures. Complete the form with the Faculty name + no. of students (Example: Faculty Name + # Students)
- Cover letter explaining the purpose of the trip
- Course Syllabus or Educational Objective
- International Travel Lodging information
- Academic Field Trip Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement (completed by all students travelling)
- Student Air Travel Voluntary Participation (to be sent to each student by the academic department chair) - Designation of Authority Memo
Record Retention: The Office of the Senior International Officer will keep a copy of the documents listed above.