The mission of Educational Talent Search (ETS) is to promote access to higher education by providing guidance and support to first generation and/or low income students. ETS serves over 1,200 parents and students in the San Fernando Valley.
- Under the supervision of the advising coordinator and ETS staff, the ETS Student Assistant/Mentor will provide pre-college advisement for student’s grades 6-12 in the areas of college awareness, life skills, financial aid, and academic preparedness;
- Provide workshops on life and study skills, college applications, and financial aid/scholarships;
- Maintain complete and accurate records of pre-college advisement sessions;
- Work with students in a classroom setting, individually, and in small groups to provide assistance with academic and life skills;
- Provide student follow-up and periodic assessments;
- Assist advising coordinator with ETS outreach and recruitment efforts;
- Provide accurate and precise information of post-secondary and financial aid opportunities.
- Help supervise field trips and other cultural enrichment experiences;
- Assist staff in preparation for activities and workshops;
- Attend MANDATORY training sessions, held once a month on Fridays, in order to increase competency in working with students;
- Serve as a positive role model for Talent Search participants;
- Work at local middle schools and/or high schools in the San Fernando Valley; and
- Perform other duties as assigned to achieve project goals and objectives
- Must be a current student, sophomore, junior, and/or graduate student in good academic standing;
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5 or higher
- Prior experience working with first generation, low-income students in grades 6-12, in a classroom setting or after school program (preferred);
- Reliable, responsible and self-directed;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; bilingual preferred;
- Must be professional, punctual, proactive, and a quick learner;
- Must have reliable transportation to school sites;
- Collaborate and partner with other pre-college programs and/or school site personnel;
- Must attend mandatory trainings prior to working in the schools, as well as monthly trainings held once a month on Fridays; and
- Must be able to work at least four consecutive hours at a time (8 a.m.–5 p.m.) and commit to full academic year August – May
Required documentation upon hiring:
- Live scan,
- Background check; and
- Tuberculosis (TB) tested
$13-$15.20, starting salary $13 hr.
Fall/Spring, 12-15 hr. Prefer students that have 2-3 full days during the week between the hours of 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Must be able to work a minimum of five consecutive hours at a time and commit to full academic year August–May.
Please submit an employment application, resume, class schedule, unofficial transcripts, and a copy of your financial aid award. Job applications are available in the Department of Student Outreach and Recruitment located in Bayramian Hall 190 or at http://www.csun.edu/outreach/student-employment. For additional information, please contact the ETS office at (818) 677-4550 or email email@example.com.