Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE)

As of March 2022

  • CSUN has suspended the GWAR (aka UDWPE) requirement for undergraduate degree recipients who will graduate by summer 2023. You do not need to do anything; your academic record will be updated automatically.
  • Passage of the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) is no longer a prerequisite for enrollment in any course.
  • Graduate students are exempt from the GWAR.

About the GWAR

All CSU undergraduate students with catalog years 2023 and beyond must demonstrate competency in writing skills as a requirement for graduation. At CSUN, students who have met the lower division writing requirement, completed 56 units or more, and intend to graduate with a baccalaureate degree are required to demonstrate their writing proficiency in one of two ways:

  1. Undergraduate students can meet the GWAR by receiving a grade of "C" or better in a minimum of 6 units of qualifying coursework in the upper division portion of their General Education curriculum. General Education Pattern Modification courses may not be used to satisfy the GWAR. Please check your degree audit or consult with your academic advisor for details.
  2. An alternate way to satisfy the GWAR will be announced during the 2022-2023 academic year and it will go into effect starting with the fall 2023 semester. This option will be made available to students who are unable to satisfy the requirement via completion of upper division General Education coursework. Please return to this site for updates.

 For the latest updates on UDWPE, visit Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement page.

UDWPE Score Report Request

Students who have attended CSUN and have taken and passed the UDWPE can request to have their score transferred to another California State University.  Please complete the WPE Score Report Request Form.  Complete one form per request.  It can take up to 2 weeks for your school to receive the results.