All CLEP exams will resume September 7, 2021.
Testing for the College-Level Examination Program is now offered at California State University, Northridge for current students, applicants, the greater San Fernando Valley community and active military through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support program. CSUN is an open testing site for CLEP testing. Testing is available to students and non-students.
The CLEP program affords participants an opportunity to obtain college credit, satisfy course prerequisites and/or meet general requirements by exam. Potential examinees should contact the university to which they are applying or attending to determine which exams will be accepted, what credit will be granted and what scores will be required. For CSUN matriculated students, consult the CSUN Catalog for more information.
SPECIFIC DETAILS REGARDING TESTING AT CSUN
Please contact the Testing Center office at 818-677-2369 if you have questions or concerns regarding the new policies listed below. Please confirm you have met or will meet these requirements prior to registering for an exam date/time.
- To follow public health protocols, CSUN Testing Center will require candidates to be fully vaccinated to have an exam administered, which means its been a minimum of 14 days past your last dose of a currently approved COVID-19 vaccine. You'll need to show proof of full vaccination or documentation of a medical or religious exemption. If you have an exemption, you will be required to show a negative COVID-19 result taken within the last 3 days at check-in.
- Candidates who are not fully vaccinated will have their appointment cancelled and will be required to reschedule.
- Candidates will be required to complete the Visitor Screening Survey prior to arriving to campus. Visit https://www.csun.edu/csunasone to complete this very important step. Candidates will be asked at check-in for proof that the screening survey was completed prior to check-in. Please complete either the night before or just prior your arrival on campus for your appointment.
- All candidates will be required to wear a face mask at all times inside the building.
- The CSUN Testing Center utilizes a QR code for check-in purposes. Bring your cell phone to allow for quick check-in. Small lockers will be provided to store your personal items.
Parking in the B3 structure is recommended. During peak times of the spring and fall semesters, parking can be difficult to locate. Give yourself plenty of time to find parking. You may purchase a single day permit at an attendant booth or dispenser for $8.00. Day pass dispensers accept credit cards or cash and are located by the elevator on each level. Click here,https://www.csun.edu/parking/visitor-parking-information, for location of parking lots and dispenser locations.
Check in no earlier than 15 minutes prior to your exam start time to Bayramian Hall, room 190. Be sure you have completed your screening survey, have your vaccination card, ID, and testing fees.
Test Administration Information
The CLEP exams are primarily 90 minutes in length some can take over 2 hours, primarily multiple-choice in nature and administered by computer. For all exams, except those involving an essay, the examinee will receive a copy of their unofficial results at the conclusion of the test.
Please allow a total of two to two and one half hours to complete the check-in, exam tutorial and the CLEP exam itself. Multiple exams can be taken on a single day. Exams can be repeated after a three-month waiting period.
Test Administration Hours
Tests are offered at 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. Schedules are subject to change. Testing is by appointment only. Please arrive on time for your scheduled appointment.
It is advisable for you to contact the Testing Center for an appointment at least one week before your desired test date. Appointments may be requested by telephone at (818) 677-2369 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your name, telephone number, name of the specific CLEP exam you wish to take and your preferred date and time. Written confirmations will be sent to email requests only. There are no same day appointments.
You can create and manage your personal account through the My Account Registration Portal. The registration platform will allow you to register for a CLEP exam 24/7, manage your personal information any time prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select your score recipient institution and purchase study materials. Log in to the My Account Registration Portal and register today.
After you register for an exam, it is important that you contact the Testing Center to schedule your appointment to take the test. Registering for an exam provides you with a payment receipt and a ticket ID, but you must contact the Testing Center to schedule the date and time you wish to take the test. You must bring your printed registration form with you on the day of the appointment.
|Type of CLEP Exam||Fee||Payment Type|
|CLEP exam fee|
Current rate set by CollegeBoard
Payable to CollegeBoard at time of registration
|Administrative fee||$40||Cash only|
- Present acceptable ID to the test. All candidates must have a valid (not expired) government-issued ID containing a recent and recognizable photo and signature. The first and last name on the ID must match exactly with the name on the Admission Ticket. There are no exceptions. No one will be admitted without acceptable identification, regardless of the circumstances.
- Face masks will be required to be worn at all times inside the building and the Testing Center.
- Candidates will need to submit their COVID-19 vaccination card for proof of full vaccination at time of check-in.
- Candidates will be required to submit proof of completion of the CSUN Visitor Screening Survey which can be found at https://www.csun.edu/csunasone.
- Parking in the B3 structure is recommended. You may purchase a single day permit at an attendant booth or dispenser for $8. Day pass dispensers accept credit cards or cash and are located by the elevator on each level. For the location of parking lots and dispensers, download the Student Parking Information.
Visit our Test Reporting Locations Map for driving directions to all on-campus testing locations.
Examinees may take advantage of test resources by visiting the CLEP website to prepare for the tests. The website includes a list of exam titles, a description of each test and links to various resources (some at a fee).
How many tests are offered?
There are 34 separate CLEP examinations. CSUN offers them all.
Tell me about each test. What are the subjects?
Answers to these questions can be found on the CLEP website. View descriptions of each test. You can also purchase a copy of the CLEP Study Guide with sample questions for all tests, or purchase a download of sample questions for selected tests.
Who may take the tests?
CSUN is an open testing location. Anyone can apply to take a test with us.
How do I receive college credit?
Each college or university sets its own CLEP policy regarding how much credit will be granted and for which courses. Contact the Admissions Office of the concerned college for information on which tests they accept and the score they require for credit. Also ask if there are other additional requirements before credit is granted.
How is the test conducted?
All CLEP examinations are offered via a computer workstation. Tests consisting of multiple-choice questions (some are fill-in) are typically 90 minutes long. Some Composition and Literature topics may take up to 2 hours or more to complete if optional essays are chosen to complete.
What does it cost?
CLEP charges an $89 exam fee payable when you register for the test. Collegeboard accepts payments by American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover credit card or personal check or money order. This test fee is waived for active duty members of the U.S. military. CSUN Testing Center charges a non-refundable and non-transferable $30 administrative fee to all examinees, which is payable in cash on the day of your appointment.
Can I take more than one test?
You may take more than one examination the same day if the testing schedule permits. Charges apply separately to each test. Inform the Testing Center staff that you desire to take more than one test when you schedule your test.
When do I get my scores?
You receive your unofficial score report immediately upon completion of your test. The exceptions are tests with an essay. Essays are read and graded twice a month. The official transcript of your score will be sent to your institution by CLEP usually within one week. You may hold your score report if you desire by selecting "Do Not Send" on the list of colleges. One transcript recipient may be selected at no cost on the day of testing; transcripts may be sent later at a nominal cost.
Can I repeat a test if I desire to obtain a higher score?
Exams can be repeated after a three-month waiting period.
How do I prepare for the test? What do I study?
CLEP tests are challenging and preparation is strongly recommended. CSUN does not endorse any particular study methods or material, but you can visit the CLEP website for an overview on CLEP preparation.
How do I get to CSUN?
Visit our Test Reporting Locations page for driving directions to all on-campus testing locations.
Parking in the B3 structure is recommended. You may purchase a single day permit at an attendant booth or dispenser for $8. Day pass dispensers accept credit cards or cash and are located by the elevator on each level. For the location of parking lots and dispensers, download the Student Parking Information.
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a CLEP exam under standard conditions, you may request testing accommodation(s). Information about requesting testing accommodation(s) can be found in My Accounts and How to Register for a CLEP Exam.
Accommodations that can be arranged directly with the Testing Center include:
• ZoomText (screen magnification)
• Modifiable screen colors
• Use of a reader, amanuensis, or a sign language interpreter
• Extended time
• Untimed rest breaks
In order to receive one of the above listed testing accommodations, you will need to provide proof of approved accommodation. This documentation should be sent to the Testing Center at least seven days prior to the scheduled CLEP exam.
If you are currently registered with the Disability Resources and Educational Services office, please contact DRES to submit your accommodation documentation to the Testing Center. If you are not a registered student with DRES, please visit the DRES website for registration procedures.
Please understand that without the accommodation documentation, we are unable to provide the requested accommodation.
If the above accommodations do not meet your needs, do not register online for your exam. Contact CLEP Services at for information about other accommodations.