Student Affairs

AGGA: Frequently Asked Questions - Dean/Associate Dean

What kind of complaints fall under the scope of these procedures?

These procedures allow students to file complaints about academic decisions or final course grades issued by instructional faculty.

What is the deadline for filing a complaint?

Complaints must be filed within one semester after the disputed academic decision was made or course grade issued. For example, complaints about issues arising during Fall semester must be filed before the end of the following Spring semester.

What are my responsibilities?

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs will send to you the Student Complaint and Faculty Response forms for all complaints filed against faculty in your college. Review these materials and schedule a meeting with the student, faculty member, department chair and yourself. The meeting should occur within three weeks after you have received the complaint materials. The purpose of the meeting is to clarify the complaint as viewed by the parties, and identify and mediate solutions, if possible. Note that the student may waive his/her right to this meeting. Agreed solutions to the complaint should be placed in writing and communicated to all parties, including the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Complete and return the Dean’s Response to the Student Complaint Form.

Where should my response be filed?

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
University Hall 310
Mail Drop Code: 8239

What happens to the complaint after I have responded to it?

Your response will be forwarded to the student who filed the complaint. The student will be given 10 academic days to accept your response or request that the complaint be forwarded to the Academic Grievance and Grade Appeals Board for review.

How can I get assistance with my questions about the filing and processing of a complaint?

Staff in the Office of the Vice President are available to assist you at (818) 677-2391.

Rev 12/2010