The 2020 Freshman Celebration
Welcome to the Freshman Celebration 2021!
The Freshman Celebration is an annual CSUN event that showcases work created by first-time freshmen enrolled in University 100 during the fall semester at Cal State Northridge. The event usually has a dual format with traditional projects displayed on-site at the showcase and digital projects displayed online using Portfolium. Portfolium is a digital portfolio network that students can use throughout their college career and beyond to showcase their work, projects, and activities. For the fall of 2021, all projects will be displayed using Portfolium.
The 16th Annual Freshman Celebration will be held from Monday, November 29 to Thursday, December 2, 2021.
2021 Judges' Grand Prize Awards
- Motion-Graphics project (animation, video, etc.)
- Still Image(s) project (photography, graphic design, illustration)
Judges' Grand Prize Criteria
- Critical thinking (defined in the Information Competence Vocabulary list at Oviatt Library as “The process of effectively examining and questioning information in order to weigh evidence and make choices and/or take action”.
- Including appropriate credit to sources, if applicable
- Significance and importance of content and/or meaning
- Creativity, artistry, and aesthetic value
About the Freshman Celebration
The first Freshman Celebration at CSUN took place in 2006 with participation limited to Freshman Connection students. In 2007 the Celebration was opened to all students enrolled in a fall U100 class. As enrollment has continued to grow, so has the Celebration.
Each fall, freshmen taking University 100 are invited to participate in a campus-wide celebration of their first-semester academic achievements. This showcase, the Freshman Celebration, is modeled on CSUN's Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research and Creative Works Symposium. The student projects often (but not always) respond to the current year's Freshman Common Reading, which in 2021-2022 is When They Call You a Terrorist, by Patrisse Kahn-Cullors & asha bandele.