TUC Sponsored Programs

New Travel Restrictions - AB1887 (Traveling to Banned States)

July 1, 2021

Dear Principal Investigators and Research Administrators:

On June 28, 2021, California Attorney General Rob Bonta announced that California will prohibit state-funded travel to Arkansas, Florida, Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia as a result of discriminatory legislation signed into law this year. Due to this, the list of banned states have been updated.

What does it mean for your sponsored projects?

If you will be traveling to any of the banned states, you will need to follow the campus travel approval procedures for banned states:

Type of Travel


Form(s) needed

Traveling to a banned state

For the list of banned states, please refer to this link.

1. Complete the Essential Travel Request Form and Request for Approval of Travel to Prohibited States Under Assembly Bill 1887.
2. Once signed/completed, email the forms to provoffice@csun.edu.
3. The request will be reviewed.
4. The forms will be returned to sender. 
5. Traveler/requestor will send the signed forms to thuy.wong@csun.edu if travel will be funded by a sponsored project.
6. Traveler must attach the signed forms to the eTravel travel authorization or approval of travel request form.
7. Submit expense report within 60 days after the last day of your trip.

Essential Travel Request Form (please request this from your liaison, or from Thuy Wong)

Request for Approval of Travel to Prohibited States Under Assembly Bill 1887

Please note the following:

  1. For group travel (traveling with students), lead PI may submit or complete one Essential Travel Request form for the entire group. A list of travelers in the group must be attached with the Essential Travel Request form.
  2. Essential Travel Request form may cover an entire term/semester.

Current travel and reimbursement guidelines are posted on this link.

Please reach out to Thuy Wong, TUC eTravel Analyst, if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Grace Slavik, Associate Director, Post-Award