- Master of Urban Economics, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA. 1986
- Bachelors of Science in Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA. 1971
- URBS 345‐ General Plan and Zoning
- URBS 430‐ Planning for the Public Sector
- URBS 415‐ California Environmenta l Quality Act (CEQA) for Planners
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Greenhouse Gas Analysis and Climate Change – Preparing Legally Adequate EIRs, AEP Environmental Monitor, Spring 2009, pages 8 ‐ 13
- Sustainability, California Planner, American Planning Association, November 2004
- State and Local Influence Over Offshore Oil Decisions, Washington Sea Grant, Chapter 4, 1996,
- Several Oil and Gas Planning Papers, Coastal Zone '91 Symposium Proceedings, Long Beach California, 1991
- Air Quality Modeling Papers, Excellence in Government, Urban Research Institute, 1982
- Air Quality Modeling Paper, California Air Pollution Control Officers Association, 1982
Professional Interests and Background
Professor Vrat has over 30 years of land use planning and environmental compliance under his belt and is currently a planning consultant. He was formerly a Senior Urban and Environmental Planner for AECOM Corporation, an engineering, design, and construction firm. He is also a former Assistant Director of the Santa Barbara County Resource Management Department where he managed six planning and environmental divisions. He has managed preparation of general plan elements, coastal plans, community and specific plans, transit oriented development plans, campus plans, transportation plans, park and open space plans, urban design guidelines, capital improvement plans, public participation programs, interactive websites and public infrastructure finance plans. He has provided independent technical review of U.S. military base master plans and design guidelines. He has managed the preparation of university and medical campus master plans and EIR/S’ for major energy projects. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners and sits on the California State Board of the Association of Environmental Professionals. Mr Vrat is also certified by the National Charette Institute.
Professional Planning Experience
- Senior Urban and Environmental Planner, Los Angeles, CA. URS Corporation. (2004 – present).
- Senior Urban and Environmental Planner Pasadena, CA, CA. Sapphos Environmental Inc. (2002 – 2004).
- Senior Planner, Santa Barbara County, CA. Comprehensive Planning Division. (1995 – 2002). Energy Specialist , Santa Barbara County, CA. Energy Division. (1986 – 1995).
- Assistant Director, Santa Barbara County, CA. Resource Management Department. (1985 – 1986).
- Energy Specialist, Santa Barbara County, CA. Energy Division. (1983 – 1985).
- Air Quality Specialist , Elk Hills Naval Petroleum Reserve, CA. Williams Brothers Engineers. (1982 – 1983)
- Environmental Specialist, Santa Barbara County, CA. Office of Environmental Quality. (1975 – 1982).
- Planner, Santa Barbara County, CA. Santa Barbara County Planning Department. (1975 – 1976).
- Planner, Santa Barbara, CA. UC Santa Barbara Office of Planning, Architects, and Engineers. (1968 – 1975).
University Teaching Experience
- Lecturer, Department of Urban Studies and Planning, California State University Northridge, Northridge, CA. Taught courses in Environmental Impact Analysis, Policy and permit Planning, Sustainability Planning, General Plans and Zoning. (2005 ‐ present)
- Lecturer, Bren Graduate School of Environmental Management, Santa Barbara, CA. Taught a course in Environmental Impact Assessment . (2002)
- Adjunct Professor, University of California Extension, Santa Barbara, CA. Taught courses in site Planning and Analysis and Communication in the Planning Process. (1985 ‐ 2002)
- Adjunct Professor, University of California Extension, Los Angeles, CA. Taught course in Internet Development for Planners. (1996)