Our curriculum and minor requirements recently changed.
Students who started at CSUN in Fall 2018 or earlier:
If you are a student who falls into this category, we are encouraging you to switch to the new minor requirements (listed below) to streamline your path to graduation (however you are not required to do so). To switch over to the new minor requirements, please call (818) 677-2658 to make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor.
Students who started at CSUN in Spring 2019 or later:
You are required to go by the new minor requirements listed below.
Minor in Sociology
The minor is designed for students interested in learning more about sociology and the theoretical ideas and research methods used by sociologists. Students can choose from a wide array of courses focused on topics such as gender, politics, family, social inequality, race/ethnicity, social movements, globalization, social justice and human sexuality. The minor requires the completion of 19 units. Students should consult an advisor to design a minor program that complements their major.
1. Lower division requirements: 3 units
- SOC 150 Introductory Sociology (3)
2. Upper Division Required Core Course Courses: 4 units
Choose one of the following core courses:
- SOC 424/L Statistical Techniques in Social Research and Lab (3/1)
- Note: SOC 424/L has a prerequisite of MATH 140
- SOC 430 Theory I - Classical Sociological Theory (4)
- SOC 468 Theory II - Contemporary Sociological Theory (4)
- SOC 497/L Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods and Lab (3/1)
- Note: SOC 497/L has a prerequisite of SOC 424/L
3. Electives: 12 units
Students choose 12 units of electives from 200-400 level sociology courses. No more than 3 elective units can be taken at the 200 level. Students can choose to take additional core courses (beyond the minimum 4 units required above) and have the units count toward their elective units for the minor.
Total Units Required for the Minor: 19 units