Apply for Summer 2023 CSUN in DC Internship Program
Intern with offices and organizations in our nation's capital as part of the D.C. Internship Program. Earn up to 15 units towards graduation.
Open to all majors!
CSUN in DC Application (.pdf)
CSUN in DC Letter of Recommendation Form (.pdf)
What is CSUN in DC?
In the CSUN in DC Internship Program, students live, work, and learn in our nation’s capital. Students move to Washington, D.C. for the Spring or Summer term, intern with Capitol Hill offices, agencies, advocacy groups, non-profits, museums, embassies, or private firms, and take classes with faculty on-site. The program is open to all majors and it is truly a transformative experience for the roughly 45-50 students that participate each year.
How Does it Work?
Students in the CSUN in DC program secure internships tailored to their career goals so that they can develop as professionals, enhance their skill-set, and begin to build their professional network. Students typically work 25-40 hours per week and receive mentoring from their internship site supervisor as well as from the faculty on-site in Washington, D.C. In recent years, CSUN students have interned in a wide variety of offices including members and committees in Congress, agencies, non-profits, advocacy organizations, private firms, embassies, and museums. Students also take classes in the evenings with on-site faculty.
How Much Does it Cost?
CSUN in DC costs include tuition, housing, transportation, food, and other personal expenses. Housing costs are about $4,000 for the entire Spring semester or about $3,300 for the entire Summer though the program has money available to subsidize this cost. Tuition is exactly the same for students as it is for the Spring or Summer term at Northridge and financial aid applies the same as if the student is in residence at CSUN. The CSUN in DC Internship Program also has funds available to help subsidize the costs of participation and there are paid internships available. You CAN do this! Come talk to us about how you can participate.
Selected Program Data:
- Nearly 300 students have participated over the years and the program continues to grow.
- Selected internship placements include: Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Sen. Jeff Flake, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Rep. Steve Knight, Rep. Adam Schiff, Office of the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Department of Veterans Affairs, Human Rights Campaign, National Education Association, Heritage Foundation, National Museum of American History, Embassy of Mexico, HACU, National Defense University, and Ford’s Theater.
- CSUN in DC students are as diverse as our student body. 72% come from traditionally under-represented groups, 57% are Pell-eligible, and 60% are first-generation college students.
- CSUN in DC students graduate. 29% of DC Interns who entered CSUN as first-time freshmen graduated in 4 years (more than twice the campus average) and virtually every student who has participated has either graduated or is still enrolled and on a path to graduate soon.
- 35% of DC Interns graduated with honors and the average CSUN GPA among them is 3.27.
For More Information:
If you have questions about the program, email Dr. Lawrence Becker or Dr. Tyler Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org.