- Ph.D (Communications), University of Washington, 1986
- M.A. (Communications), University of Washington, 1980
- M.A. (Comparative Literature) University of Washington, 1977
- B.A. Honors (English/Linguistics), University of Sierra Leone, 1973
Selected Publications and Presentations
"Language as Subversion and Cultural Affirmation in Caribbean Literature." Association of University English Teachers of South Africa (AUETSA). University of Free State, South Africa. 2001
"Issues in African and African American Literate Communications" (with Daphne Ntiri) Journal of African Studies, Spring 2000.
Orality, Literacy and the Fictive Imagination: African and Diaspora Literatures: Bedford Publishers, Troy, MI, 1998.
Shared Visions: A Multicultural Reader and Rhetoric. McGraw-Hill, 1996.
"Family Patterns in Sierra Leone." (In Press). In Diversity in Families: A Global Perspective. (Charles B. Hennon, ed.).
Research and Interests
- African and Diaspora Literatures
- Orality and Literacy
- Memory and Liberation Discourse