Phi Alpha Theta
Welcome to the home page of the CSUN chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the national honor society for history students. Founded in 1921, Phi Alpha Theta currently has over 350,000 members across the country. For more information on the national organization, visit the Phi Alpha Theta website
What are the requirements?
If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible if . . .
• you have completed 12 units (4 courses) in history and
• you have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better, and a GPA in history of 3.1 or better.
If you are a graduate student, you are eligible if . . .
• you have completed at least 12 units towards a master's degree in history and
• you have a GPA of 3.5 or better.
What are the benefits?
Membership in Phi Alpha Theta . . .
• is an honor and an important addition to your résumé.
• allows you to compete for a wide range of PAT-sponsored scholarships and prizes.
• gives you opportunities to participate in PAT conferences.
• connects you to other students and scholars who love history.
Becoming a member
Please wait until the spring semester to submit your application. All new memberships are processed once a year, usually in late April, with an induction ceremony and party that follows in mid-May. In order to complete your membership, please submit a one-time membership fee of $65 to the History Department office. Cash is preferred, but if writing a check, please see a staff member for whom to make the check out to.
If you have additional questions, you may reach the Phi Alpha Theta Advisor, Dr. Erik Goldner at: email@example.com