Faculty Position Announcement: Part-Time
Department of History
- Faculty, part-time
- Please Note:
- All part-time faculty appointments are temporary and do not confer academic rank.
- Final determination of part-time teaching assignments is contingent upon student enrollment figures and funding.
- Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
Fractional amount of base salary ($4,530-6,190) paid in six monthly installments.
Effective Date of Appointment:
Effective Date of Appointment: Fall 2023 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Hiring for the following course(s):
- History 110 World History to 1500
- History 111 World History since 1500
- History 150 History of Western Civ to 1500
- History 151 History of Western Civ since 1500
- History 161 History of Latin America
- History 185 History of the Middle East
- History 192 History of Modern East Asia
- History 210 A History of the Jewish People
- History 270 History of the US to 1865
- History 271 History of the US since 1865
- History 301 The Historian’s Craft
- History 303 Themes in Western Civilization to 1500
- History 304 Themes in Western Civilization since 1500
- History 305 Cultural History of the United States
- History 341 Modern Europe Since 1815
- History 342 The World since 1945
- History 349 Women in American History
- History 350 The History of Women
- History 351 History of Sexual Behavior
- History 357 History of the Holocaust
- History 369 Native American Peoples and Cultures
- History 370 Questions in American History to 1865
- History 371 Questions in American History since 1865
- History 374 Hollywood and US History
- History 380 Los Angeles: Past, Present, Future
- History 389 Disability in American History and Law
- History 410 Ancient Greek World
- History 411 The Roman World
- History 417 California for Educators
- History 428 British Empire
- History 440 The History of War in the Modern World
- History 453 Modern Britain
- History 465 The Caribbean Since 1492
- History 466 History of Mexico
- History 467 Mexican Revolution
- History 469 The Atlantic World
- History 474B: The US since 1960
- History 475 Women in Modern US History: 1920-Present
- History 479 US Economic History
- History 488 The History of California
- History 493 Modern Japan
- History 497 Research Proseminar
- History 498 Reading Tutorial in History
- PhD in History preferred.
- ABD and enrollment in a PhD program will be considered.
- College-level teaching experience and evidence of teaching effectiveness required, as well as demonstrated commitment and ability to teach/mentor a diverse student population.
- For Fall Semester 2023 and AY 2023-24: March 31, 2023
- For Spring Semester 2024 Only: Oct. 31, 2023
Applicants must submit a current CV and cover letter which lists specific courses they are interested in teaching and, whenever possible, times available for teaching assignments. Applicants should also describe their strategies for teaching a diverse student population. The CV should include educational background, prior teaching experience, evidence of scholarship, and/or related professional experience. Applicants should also send at least one syllabus for a course they have taught. In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide verification of terminal degrees.
Inquiries and applications should be addressed to:
Dr. Jeffrey Auerbach
Professor and Chair
Department of History
California State University, Northridge 91330
CSUN's Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. An Equal Opportunity employer, CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information, visit the CSUN website.
About the College:
For information visit the CSUN College of Social and Behavioral Sciences website.
About the Department:
For information visit the CSUN Department of History website.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line (.pdf). Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the status of applicants. Please note that working in the state of California is a condition of employment.
Working in the State of California is a requirement of employment. CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more, visit our Matadors Forward site.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the History Department at 818-677-3566.