The Department of Geography and Environmental Studies offers, within the Master of Science in Geographic Information Science (MSGISci) degree, a highly structured specialization program in which most of the requirements are met with graduate courses dealing with various aspects of GIS. This program is designed for students who want to pursue a career in this highly technological subfield of geography.
Requirements for Admission
- One of the following:
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better. Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 to 2.99, please contact the graduate coordinator.
- A graduate degree in another field from CSUN or other accredited institution.
- At least a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 units attempted.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Demonstration of research and writing skills. Applicants must submit to the graduate committee a sample research paper, written in English and, preferably, one that was completed as part of the baccalaureate degree requirements, such as a senior thesis or other research paper done in an upper division undergraduate course. Because of the importance of research and writing to the graduate program, the committee needs to be assured of applicants’ abilities and promise in these areas.
- A well-written statement of purpose (approximately 1,000 words, double-spaced, 12-point font).
Classified and Conditionally Classified Status
Requirements for Classified Status
- Admission to the program requires an undergraduate degree (or its equivalent for international students).
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required.
- General University requirements also must be met. Carefully consult other sections of this Catalog for details. These requirements include passing the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) with a score of 8 or higher.
Conditionally Classified Status
- If the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) requirements for classified status are not met at the time of application, the student will be admitted as conditionally classified, pending completion of the UDWPE requirement.
- No more than 12 units of work taken prior to attaining classified status may be applied to the master’s degree program.
Completion of the following courses (a total of 30 units, with a GPA of 3.0 or better):
- Introductory Seminar (3 units)
- Additional Seminars (15 units)
Select five courses from the following:
- Additional GISci Course (3 units)
Select any course from the GEOG 690 series.
Additional Graduate Seminar (3 units)
Select one 600-level Geography seminar.
Statistics (3 units)
- Thesis Preparation (3 units)
- Culminating Experience (3 units)
Submission of a thesis or graduate project approved by a departmental faculty committee.
Total Units Required for the M.Sci. Degree: 30