Giving to the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
Thanks to the generous help of current and former faculty, alumni, and their families, the Geography and Environmental Studies department is proud to offer several scholarships each year, largely to recognize outstanding scholarship, leadership, and enthusiasm for our beloved discipline.
It’s easy to donate money to Geography and Environmental Studies, or to any of the specific awards and scholarships.
- Geography Graduate and Undergraduate Student Award: Pays for student field trips, lab supplies, conference attendance and more.
- Michael Tamburro Scholarship: Mr. Tamburro was a lover of geography and former student of the department. This scholarship is the flagship award in the department. It pays for all normal university fees to a full-time undergraduate geography major that has, or will transfer from a community college. The award has been made possible through a generous gift from the family and friends of Michael Tamburro.
- William Russell Scholarship (New): Mr. Russell was a former professor at Pierce Community College and a longtime friend of the department. This scholarship recognizes the efforts of geography students, with high standards of academic performance and departmental citizenship.
- Robert and Karen Newcomb Graduate Fellowship: Dr. Newcomb was a professor in this department. This award recognizes the efforts of geography graduate students who best reflect a spirit of independence, creativity and imagination.
- Shoshana Sokol Memorial Award: In her 60's Ms. Sokol returned to school and received her BA from this department. This award recognizes the achievements of non-traditional students who perhaps have returned to CSUN to pursue studies in geography. The Sokol family hopes the fund will be used to cover or defray the costs of textbooks.
- Robert Howard Field Studies Award: Dr. Howard was a Professor of the department. The award helps offset some of the cost of doing field work. This award focuses on geography students who demonstrate excellence or potential for field work.
- Darrick Danta Fund for Field Studies: Dr. Danta was a Professor and Department Chair. This award helps offset some of the cost of doing field work. This award focuses on geography students who are planning field studies as part of their research project.
You can donate directly to any of these funds by following the directions on the left hand side of the screen under How to donate: (We are in the process of adding three more Scholarships/Fund)
You can also send a check payable to CSUN Foundation, in the memo section write in the name of the Scholarship/Fund from the list above, and mail to:
Judi Gomez, ASC
CSUN/Geography and Environmental Studies
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8249
You are welcome to contact Judi Gomez, Administrative Support Coordinator, at(818) 677-3532, the department at , or Dr. Steve Graves, Professor and Scholarship Chair, at for additional information.