Please join the Center for the Interdisciplinary Pursuit of Hip-Hop Elevation & Research (C.I.P.H.E.R.) for its inaugural Symposium: Celebrating 50 Years of Hip-Hop with special guest Sway Calloway.
Hip-hop has been a global phenomenon. The music translated without translation. It spoke and speaks to and for many. This inaugural symposium raises questions and promotes discussion not about the impact of hip-hop but about its capacity to build community at local, national, and global levels. It is examined at political, social, commercial, and artistic vantage points.
This event is FREE and open to the public. Come for live Hip Hop performances and history, stay for the dancers, graf installations, and food!
- 10 AM – 11:30 AM: The Gr818ers DJs, Graffiti Artists, and Dancers (Soraya Courtyard)
- 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM: Boom Bap Nation Discussion Panel (Soraya Great Hall)
- 12:30 PM – 1:00 PM : 60 East*A-F-R-O & Gumbo Artist Performance (Soraya Great Hall)
- 1 PM – 2:00 PM: Sway Calloway Keynote (Soraya Great Hall) RSVP for this Event
- 2:00 PM - 5PM: The Gr818ers: DJs, ciphers, dance battles, Graffiti Artists, performances (Soraya Courtyard)
Food Trucks open from 11-4 (Parked on Nordhoff Street in front of the Soraya.)
Food trucks have a fee; Event is free
Communication services (sign language interpreters, note takers) are available for this event. Requests for services must be submitted at least five (5) working days in advance. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking is $9.50 per vehicle at Information Booth #2 at Prairie Street and Darby Avenue.