Criminology and Justice Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your questions. If your question is not addressed below, please contact the CJS office for assistance. Email anytime: or call (818) 677-2117 during business hours.

Important Dates for Fall 2023

Important Dates for Fall 2023

The Fall semester is only days away, with Friday-Saturday and Saturday-only classes beginning Aug. 26 and weekday classes beginning Aug. 28. 

Here are some important dates you’ll need to know to stay on top of your online learning this semester:

Aug. 16: Fall 2023 financial aid balance funds will be mailed or deposited by eRefund.

Aug. 27: Nonrestrictive registration ends.

Aug. 28: Late registration and schedule adjustment begin. Students may continue to adjust their academic schedules via online self-service registration through Sept. 24.

Aug. 28 to Sept. 4: Wait-listing classes continues. Permission is not required to add classes (except for restricted classes).

Sept. 5: Permission is required to add ALL classes. Wait-listing is not available.

Sept. 2-5: Labor Day holiday weekend — campus closed on Sept. 5; no classes in session Sept. 2-5.

Sept. 24: Last day to add, drop or change grading basis (CR/NC) using online, self-service registration.

Oct. 1: The Federal Student Aid and the California Dream Act application period begins for the next academic year

Nov. 10: Veterans Day holiday — campus closed; no classes in session.

Nov. 23-26: Thanksgiving holiday — campus closed; no classes in session. Classes also will not be in session Nov. 23-26.

Dec. 11: Last day of formal instruction.

Dec. 12-18: Final exams.

Dec. 22: Instructors’ grades due. Grades can be accessed on myNorthridge Portal beginning Dec. 12, updated nightly thereafter.

Feb. 16, 2024:  Last day to submit documents for Fall 2023 graduation.

How do I contact an Academic Advisor for assistance with registration and course selection?

Criminology and Justice Studies is an academic department in the college of Social and Behavioral Sciences.

The Advisors for college are divided into 2 groups, those who assists first time freshmen and those who assist all other students. If you are a freshmen, please contact "The Hub", (818) 677-2900. Freshmen are strongly encouraged to take part in the New Student Orientation.

If you are not a freshmen, the SSC/EOP also provides additional services for majors in the College who are part of the Educational Opportunity Program. (EOP)

Our advisors are working remotely and available to assist students through phone or zoom advisement. To schedule an appointment, please email:  or call 818-677-2658 and leave a message.

  • Make sure to include your name, ID number, and days and times of the week that you are available. Please make sure to include a call back number.  
  • Someone from our office will contact you to schedule your appointment. Additionally, if you have general questions you can also use the same email.

Thank you.

Know How to Register - Helpful Tips

CSUN's Admissions and Records has Know How to Register Tips to help you with registration:

Top 10 Registration Tips:

  1. Know when to register, wait list, repeat courses, pay tuition/fees and make late schedule changes.  See: Registration Calendar.
  2. Activate your CSUN user ID and password to access self-service registration through myNorthridge Portal. Read: Security Tips.
  3. Clear holds that may prevent you from enrolling in classes, including the Title IX "Not Anymore" or "Every Choice" hold.
  4. Make every unit countSee an academic advisor or graduate program coordinator. Plan ahead using degree planning tools.
  5. Understand academic policies for attendance, course requisites, credit/no credit grading, maximum unit load, repeating courses, and withdrawing.
  6. Use Class Search to preview classes months before enrollment begins. Access Class Search from the CSUN home page (no login required), through myNorthridge Portal (log in), or in the CSUN Mobile App.
  7. Use the Registration Planner (login required) to generate schedules for the classes you want, choose a desired schedule and send it to your enrollment shopping cart, and/or fit a new class into your schedule. The Registration Planner Guide has more information on how to use this tool.
  8. Begin registering when your enrollment appointment arrives and thereafter. Add, drop or swap classes online during registration periods
  9. Drop classes you no longer want during the first three weeks of instruction to avoid getting a grade of “WU” (unauthorized withdrawal), which counts as an “F” in GPA calculation. Formal, written approval is required to change your schedule beginning with Week 4. For withdrawal and refund information, see Late Add-Drop Classes.
  10. Check your account balance whenever you add/drop classes. Pay tuition and other fees before the deadlines published in the Fee Payment Schedule. Helpful: View My Student Account Information Guide and Important Fee Payment Requirements (.pdf)

How do I get a Permission Number for a CJS Course?

The quick answer is it depends on the course and the reason the number is required.

Some CJS classes, mostly internship courses, require permission to enroll for any student. On the far right side in the Class Search there is a notice that "Instr" (Instructor permission required).

Internship and Field Experience Course(s):  

Please make certain that you have applied for the course(s). Please go to the Student page on our CJS website, select the Applied Research & Field Experience Courses tab. There is an a Site Guide, and a Handbook, all of which help better explain the courses, and help you focus your interests. Further down there is a header labeled Internship Application for Fall 2023 semester. That is the link to the application. You will be contacted regarding the class and any requisite permission number(s).


Permission Number for a Class that does not require Instructor Consent:

Enrollment error "Pre_requisities not met" - Need a permission number. Some recent transfers currently completing or having just completed pre-requisite course(s) may have trouble enrolling in a class(es) until the official transcript is received and processed by CSUN's Admissions and Records office. If you need a permission number and the Professor's name is listed, please email the Instructor and ask for the permission number. Click on the Professor's name to get the email. You may also use the "Directory" feature in the top right corner of CSUN's website, If there is no specific Professor listed, please email the department for assistance. Please use  to reach the main office.  Thank you.


How do I check my Degree Progress Report? How do I use the Degree Planner?

Your Degree Progress Report (DPR) lists your remaining graduation requirements. You can use the DPR/Planner to plan future classes and determine your graduation date.

Please follow the Degree Progress Report and Planner Guide on how to access your own Degree Progress Report from your personal MyCSUN portal.

What is the profile of the typical CSUN CJS student?

CSUN's office of Institutional Research has compiled various types of data on the amazingly diverse CSUN students.

CJS students are almost 80% Latinx and 61% female (Spring 2020 Census data).

Why should I major in Criminology and Justice Studies?

The program provides a foundation for the study of criminology and criminal justice; based in critical thinking and application, theory and research methodology, understanding diversity and global perspectives, writing, and the fundamentals of law and ethical practice.

As an incoming freshman, how do I major in Criminology and Justice Studies?

Incoming freshman can apply to Criminology and Justice Studies, or may change their major once they arrive.

Please contact the Advisors in The Hub for assistance, (818) 677-2900. Their office is located in the college of Extended Learning, room 150.

As a transfer student, how do I major in Criminology and Justice Studies?

Any undergraduate student, Transfer or First Time Freshmen, may declare CJS as their major.

To change your major to CJS, please see the CSUN Admissions and Records pages for more information regarding a Change of Major, applications, etc. You may change your major online, or with a paper form, please see an Academic Advisor for assistance.

What career can I have with a degree in Criminology and Justice Studies?

The answer is many great careers. A number of CJS graduates have gone on to law school, many have gone into careers in Advocacy, especially in the area of Domestic Violence. Other graduates have gone into sworn and civilian positions in various law enforcement agencies including Probation and local municipal and county departments. Please refer to the Career Resources tab in the Student Resources page of our website. Thank you and good luck in whatever you choose.

If I am a Sociology, Option II Major, will I automatically be moved to Criminology & Justice Studies major?

No. Each student must submit the Change of Major request. Students are encouraged to see the EOP Advisement Office for the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences.

EOP Advising Center SH 204.