Statement of Solidarity for the Asian, Asian American and Pacific Islander Community
We, in the Department of Africana Studies at California State University, Northridge, express our support, and stand in solidarity with our colleagues and partners from the Asian, Asian American and Pacific Islander communities following the heinous act of violence and the brutal killing of eight women in Atlanta on March 16th, 2021.
We are deeply troubled by these attacks and by any violence based on race, ethnicity, or gender, and we acknowledge the injustices experienced by the AAPI community throughout our nation, specifically, the pain of longstanding racism that has only been reinvigorated, and that has escalated this year during the pandemic. We stand firmly with our AAPI neighbors, friends, co-workers, classmates, and family in condemning all forms of hate, and reaffirm our commitment to doing our part to foster a more inclusive and just society. We send our deep condolences to the families of those affected and to so many other families and neighborhoods impacted by hate, intimidation, threats, and acts of violence.
Department of Africana Studies Faculty and Staff & the Black House Team
Department of Africana Studies Statement of Support: Black Lives Matter!
The Department of Africana Studies at California State University, Northridge, stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, and demand that action be taken, so our community and city can work to dismantle the structures of racism that have threatened Black lives and wellbeing since this nation was first established. We condemn police brutality and the insidious murders of Black men and women. There are many police who operate as the enforcement wing of the system of white supremacy, a system that we must work to dismantle every day. We condemn racism and oppression in all its manifestations, including homophobia and transphobia. The terrorism of white supremacy and white privilege continues to compromise the health and safety of Black Americans and African people across the globe. The systematic assault on Black lives in America and in the world is an injustice that will not be tolerated and must be rooted out from the psyche and fabric of America.
Other CSUN Statements of Solidarity
- CSUN Asian American Studies Statement: Solidarity with the Movement for Black Lives & Condemnation of Mr. George Floyd's Murder
- The Department of Central American Studies Stands in Solidarity with Black Lives Matter
- CSUN Department of Chicana/o Studies Statement In Solidarity with Black Lives Matter!
- Department of English Actions on Systemic Racism
- Department of Linguistics/TESL's Statement of Solidarity with Black Lives Matter
- Religious Studies Statement of Solidarity with Black Lives Matter!
- Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies Statement of Support
- Queer Studies Statement of Solidarity with Black Lives Matter