Mathematics Open House - Friday, May 6, 2022, 12pm - 6pm; Zoom Webinar. See detailed program here.
- Celebrating Women in Mathematics: our colleague Dr. Silvia Fernandez, in collaboration with three other female mathematicians from Brazil, Chile, and Mexico have been funded to organize a research workshop for Latin American and Caribbean Women in Mathematics to be held on May 2022. For more details, please click here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Helena Noronha, Professor Emeritus, the recipient of the 2022 M. Gweneth Humphreys Award. For more details, please read here.
- Please join us at our ceremony by clicking here
- Mathematics Open House Webinar, Spring 2021
- Past Tenure Track Positions
Statistics: The department of Mathematics invite applications for one tenure track Assistant Professorship in Statistics, to commence on August 19, 2020. Read more.
Algebra/Algebraic Topology: The department of Mathematics invite applications for one tenure track Assistant Professorship in Algebra/Algebraic Topology, to commence on August 19, 2020. Read more.
- Algebra Seminar: Dr. Radoslav Fulek from University of Arizona will speak on Wednesday, March 11, 12:30-1:30pm in JR 354. Both faculty and students are welcome to attend. Read abstract here.
- Statistics Seminar: Prof. S. Rao Jammalamadaka from UC Santa Barbara will speak on Tuesday, March 10, 1-2pm in LO 1219. Both faculty and students are welcome to attend. Read the abstract here.
- IRIS Seminar: Dr. Paul J. Atzberger from UC Santa Barbara will speak on Wednesday, March 4, 11-12pm in LO 1314. Both faculty and students are welcome to attend. Read abstract here.
- Math Colloquium: Prof. Wilfrid Gangbo from UCLA will speak at 2:30-3:30pm on Wednesday, February 12, in LO 1325. Both faculty and students are welcome to attend. Wilfrid will also be available for informal discussions after the colloquium talk (at the Department Tea Time 3:30-4:30pm and beyond). Read the abstract here.
- The Mathematics Department will receive a generous donation of $41,000 from June Owens, a CSUN Mathematics alumni (class of 1972). Read more about her here.
- It is with great sadness to inform you that our former colleague Satya Upadhyayula passed away on September 13, 2019. Satya was a faculty member in our Department from 1971 to 2011. He was a very kind and gentle person with a great sense of humor. He contributed to CSUN in many ways, and he will be missed. Satya is survived by his wife Padma, two daughters, and a son. His family will hold a private service.
- It is with great sadness to inform you that our colleague Ali Zakeri passed away on May 7, 2019.
- Congratulations to Yen Duong for the 2019 Presidential Staff Award. For more information about the award, please visit: https://www.csun.edu/enrichment/staff-service-awards
- 2019 College of Science and Mathematics Awards. Congratulations to:
- Andrea Nemeth for the Staff Award
- Professor Chad Sprouse for the Teaching Award
- Professor Csaba Toth for the Early Career Research Award
- Professor Ali Zakeri for the Faculty Service Award
- Congratulations to Professor Maria-Rita D'Orsogna for the 2019-2020 GRIF Classification Award. For more information about the GRIF classification, please refer to CSUN Policy Manual in Section 652.3.1.d. through g.
- The 2019 department graduate ceremony will be held on Friday, May 17, 2-4pm, Live Oak 3rd floor.
- The 2019 department retreat will be held on Friday, April 26, 2019 at the Odyssey Restaurant.
- Congratulation to Prof. Alberto Candel for the publication by Springer of his co-authored book titled: "Generic Coarse Geometry of Leaves". For more information, please visit: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-94132-5
- Congratulation to Prof. David Klein for the publication by Springer of his co-authored book titled: "The Dirac Equation in Curved Spacetime". For more information, please visit: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-14825-6
- MATHEMATICS OPEN HOUSE on Wednesday, March 27th, 2-7:30pm in the Grand Salon, University Student Union. Join us for a day of talks and activities celebrating mathematics research, education, and career exploration. View flyer.
- Student Awards
- PUMP program is the recipient of the "2017 Example of Excelencia in Education in the graduate category" (graduate because it sends students to Graduate Schools). Congratulation to Dr. Helena Noronha and her team for this new impressive accomplishment. For more information, go to https://www.edexcelencia.org/programs-initiatives/growing-what-works-database/preparing-undergraduates-through-mentoring-towards
- Julia Dandurand, our graduate student, won first prize at the statewide 31st CSU Student Research Competition in the Physical and Mathematical Sciences Graduate Level Division this weekend at Cal Poly. Congratulation to Julia, her co-authors Jake (Yakov Sapoznikov) and Gina (Yauheniya Lahoda), and their advisors Bernardo Abrego and Silvia Fernandez.
- CSUN will be hosting a MAA Southern California/Nevada section meeting on Saturday, April 29, 2017. Dr. Daniel Katz is one of the plenary speakers and ten PUMP students will be presenting their research.For more information, please visit: http://sections.maa.org/socalnv/Meeting2017Spring.html
- Dr. Mark Schilling is the recipient of the 2017 Distinguished Teaching, Counseling or Librarianship Award. In addition to the honor, the award carries a prize of $1200. Congratulate Mark for this very well deserved recognition of his outstanding teaching record!
- A group of students working with Carol Shubin and Bruce Shapiro won last week end the first place at the Chapman University "Datafest". These students are Seyed Sajjadi, Matthew Jones, Ian Postel, Collin Miller, and Jamie Decker (Picture). For more information, please visit:
- Congratulation to Professor Mark Schilling who was awarded, at the 2017 joint Mathematics Meeting in Atlanta, the Chauvenet Prize for his 2012 expository article "The surprising predictability of long runs" published in the MAA journal. The Chauvenet Prize is the highest award for mathematical expository writing. For more information about the award, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvenet_Prize.
- The Math Department received the 2016 AMS Award for an Exemplary Program or Achievement in a Mathematics Department http://www.ams.org/news?news_id=2997 for the PUMP program . For more information about this program go to http://www.pump-math.org
- Announcing Ramanujan Research Scholarship in Mathematics