- The 2019 department graduate ceremony will be held on Friday, May 17, 2-4pm, Live Oak 3rd floor.
- The 2019 department retreat will be held on Friday, April 26, 2019 at the Odyssey Restaurant.
- Congratulation to Prof. Alberto Candel for the publication by Springer of his co-authored book titled: "Generic Coarse Geometry of Leaves". For more information, please visit: https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319941318
- Congratulation to Prof. David Klein for the publication by Springer of his co-authored book titled: "The Dirac Equation in Curved Spacetime". For more information, please visit: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030148249
- MATHEMATICS OPEN HOUSE on Wednesday, March 27th, 2-7:30pm in the Grand Salon, University Student Union. Join us for a day of talks and activities celebrating mathematics research, education, and career exploration. View flyer.
2-3:30pm: Faculty Research Talks
3:30-4:30pm: Student Poster Session and Math Games
5-6:30pm: Careers in Mathematics Alumni Talks
- Thursday, October 25th, 2-3:15 pm – How to Become a Math Teacher information session. Learn about the requirements for becoming a mathematics teacher and the resources available to support you along the way at CSUN. To RSVP, email Natalie Howe. See flyer here. See agenda here.
- Student Awards
- PUMP program is the recipient of the "2017 Example of Excelencia in Education in the graduate category" (graduate because it sends students to Graduate Schools). Congratulation to Dr. Helena Noronha and her team for this new impressive accomplishment. For more information, go to https://www.edexcelencia.org/programs-initiatives/growing-what-works-database/preparing-undergraduates-through-mentoring-towards
- Julia Dandurand, our graduate student, won first prize at the statewide 31st CSU Student Research Competition in the Physical and Mathematical Sciences Graduate Level Division this weekend at Cal Poly. Congratulation to Julia, her co-authors Jake (Yakov Sapoznikov) and Gina (Yauheniya Lahoda), and their advisors Bernardo Abrego and Silvia Fernandez.
- CSUN will be hosting a MAA Southern California/Nevada section meeting on Saturday, April 29, 2017. Dr. Daniel Katz is one of the plenary speakers and ten PUMP students will be presenting their research.For more information, please visit: http://sections.maa.org/socalnv/Meeting2017Spring.html
- Dr. Mark Schilling is the recipient of the 2017 Distinguished Teaching, Counseling or Librarianship Award. In addition to the honor, the award carries a prize of $1200. Congratulate Mark for this very well deserved recognition of his outstanding teaching record!
- A group of students working with Carol Shubin and Bruce Shapiro won last week end the first place at the Chapman University "Datafest". These students are Seyed Sajjadi, Matthew Jones, Ian Postel, Collin Miller, and Jamie Decker (Picture). For more information, please visit:
- Congratulation to Professor Mark Schilling who was awarded, at the 2017 joint Mathematics Meeting in Atlanta, the Chauvenet Prize for his 2012 expository article "The surprising predictability of long runs" published in the MAA journal. The Chauvenet Prize is the highest award for mathematical expository writing. For more information about the award, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvenet_Prize.
- The Math Department received the 2016 AMS Award for an Exemplary Program or Achievement in a Mathematics Department http://www.ams.org/news?news_id=2997 for the PUMP program . For more information about this program go to http://www.pump-math.org
- Announcing Ramanujan Research Scholarship in Mathematics