All Recent Publications
(CSUN Faculty, *CSUN Graduate Student, **CSUN Undergraduate Student)
- Villaseñor, T., Tentori, D.*, Marsaglia, K.M., and Pinto, L., 2020 (now online), The changing Patagonian landscape: Erosion and sediment transfer paths in northern Patagonia during the Middle and Late Pleistocene: Basin Research, p. 1-19 DOI: 10.1111/bre.12413
- Morone, C., Le Pera, E., Marsaglia, K.M., and DeRosa, R., 2020, Compositional and textural study of modern beach sands in the active volcanic area of Campania region (southern Italy). Sedimentary Geology, v. 396 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2019.105567
- Doran, L.M.*, Marsaglia, K.M., and Browne, G.H., 2019, Reconnaissance composition of river sand from northern South Island, New Zealand: a modern analogue for southern Taranaki Basin: New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2019.1618881
- Marsaglia, K.M., Behl, R.J., and Schwalbach, J.R., 2019, Introduction: From the Mountains to the Abyss: The California Borderland as an Archive of Southern California Geologic Evolution: SEPM Special Publication 110: From the Mountains to the Abyss: The California Borderland as an Archive of Southern California Geologic Evolution, K.M. Marsaglia, J. Schwalbach, and R. Behl, eds., p. 1-4.
- Clague, D., Marsaglia, K., Cousens, B.L., and Paduan, J.B., 2019, Oligocene and Miocene volcanics in the sedimentary forearc of the outer California borderland: SEPM Special Publication 110: From the Mountains to the Abyss: The California Borderland as an Archive of Southern California Geologic Evolution, K.M. Marsaglia, J. Schwalbach, and R. Behl, eds., p. 22-42.
- Marsaglia, K.M., Weeraratne, D., Rodriguez, B.*, Green, G., Shintaku, N., and Kohler, M., 2019, Tracing the Arguello Submarine Canyon System from shelf origins to an abyssal sink: SEPM Special Publication 110: From the Mountains to the Abyss: The California Borderland as an Archive of Southern California Geologic Evolution, K.M. Marsaglia, J. Schwalbach, and R. Behl, eds. p. 87-101.
- Van Grinsven, M.**, Marsaglia, K.M., and Romans, B.W., 2019, Sand provenance from source to sink in the Santa Monica Basin, California Borderlands: Significance of Calleguas Creek input: SEPM Special Publication 110: From the Mountains to the Abyss: The California Borderland as an Archive of Southern California Geologic Evolution, K.M. Marsaglia, J. Schwalbach, and R. Behl, eds., p. 102-116.
Fleck, J.R.*, C.L. Rains*, D.S. Weeraratne, C.T. Nguyen, D.M. Brand*, S.M. Klein**, J.M. McGehee**, J.M. Rincon**, C. Martinez*, and P.L. Olson, Iron diapirs entrain silicates to the core and initiate thermochemical plumes, Nature Communications, 9:71, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-02503-2, 2018.
Huntington, K.W. and Klepeis, K.A., with 66 community contributors including Miranda, E.A. (2018), Challenges and opportunities for research in tectonics: Understanding deformation and the processes that link Earth systems, from geologic time to human time. A community vision document submitted to the U.S. National Science Foundation. University of Washington, 84 pp., https://doi.org/10.6069/H52R3PQ5
- Bender-Whitaker, C.*, Marsaglia, K., Jaeger, J., and Browne, G., 2018, Insights into sequence stratigraphy and sedimentary process within siliciclastic shelf systems using Holocene-Pleistocene sand provenance in the Canterbury Basin, New Zealand: Geological Society of America, Special Paper 540, Tectonics, Sedimentary Basins and Provenance: A Celebration of William R. Dickinson’s Career, edited by Ingersoll, R.V., Graham, S.A., and Lawton, T.F., p. 159-196.
- Cecil, R., Ferrer, M.A.**, Riggs, N., Marsaglia, K., Kylander-Clark, A., Ducea, M., and Stone, P., 2018, Early arc development recorded in Permian-Triassic plutons of the northern Mojave Desert region, California: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 131, p. 749-765. https://doi.org/10.1130/B31963.1
- Marsaglia, K.M., Lawrence, J.*, Fitzpatrick, S., and Wake, T., 2018, New insights from petrographic analysis of ceramics from the Bocas del Toro Archipelago, Panama. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, v. 17, p. 449-461.
- Nolasco, J.M.*, Marsaglia, K.M., Campbell, K.E., Hertel, F., Villaseñor, T., 2018, Use of Sedimentary petrology and provenance to resolve questions regarding the Neogene depositional setting of the southern rim of the Amazon Basin: Geological Society of America, Special Paper 540, Tectonics, Sedimentary Basins and Provenance: A Celebration of William R. Dickinson’s Career, edited by Ingersoll, R.V., Graham, S.A., and Lawton, T.F., p. 133-158.
- Tentori, D.*, Milli, S., and Marsaglia, K.M., 2018, A source-to-sink compositional model of a present highstand: an example in the low-rank Tiber depositional sequence (Latium Tyrrhenian margin, Italy): Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 88, p. 1-22.
Brandl, P.A., Hamada, M., Arculus, R.J., Johnson, K.*, Marsaglia, K.M., Ishizuka, O., and Savov, I., 2017, The arc arises: The links between volcanic output, arc evolution, and melt composition. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 461, p. 73-84. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.12.027.
Decker, M.*, Schwartz, J.J., Stowell, H.H., Klepeis, K.A., Tulloch, A., Kouki, K., Valley, J., and Kylander-Clark, 2017, Slab-Triggered Arc Flare-up in the Cretaceous Median Batholith and the Growth of Lower Arc Crust, Fiordland, New Zealand: Journal of Petrology, v.58, No. 6, p. 1145-1172; doi: 10.1093/petrology/egx049.
Heermance, R. V., and D. Yule (2017), Holocene slip rates along the San Andreas Fault System in the San Gorgonio Pass and implications for large earthquakes in southern California, Geophysical Research Letters, 44(11), 5391-5400.
Johnson, K.*, Waldman, R.**, and Marsaglia, K.M., 2017, Data Report: Sedimentary Columns with Facies and Bedding for Units II-IV at IODP Site U1438: Proceedings of the International Ocean Discovery Program, Expedition 351: Izu-Bonin-Mariana Arc Origins: College Station, TX (International Ocean Discovery Program). http://publications.iodp.org/proceedings/351/201/351_201.html
Marsaglia, K.M., Browne, G.H., George, S.C., Kemp, D., Jaeger, J., Carson, D.*, Richaud, M., and IODP Expedition 317 Scientific Party, 2017, The transformation of sediment into rock: Insights from IODP Site U1352, Canterbury Basin, New Zealand: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 87, p. 272-287.
McKay, M.P., Bollen, M., Gray, K.D., Stowell, H.H., and Schwartz, J.J., 2017, Prolonged metamorphism during long-lived terrane accretion: Sm-Nd garnet and U-Pb zircon geochronology and P-T paths from the Salmon River suture zone, west-central Idaho: Lithosphere, doi: https://doi.org/10.1130/L642.1.
Morrone, C., DeRosa, R., Le Pera, E., and Marsaglia, K.M., 2017, Provenance of volcaniclastic beach sand in a magmatic arc setting: an example from Lipari island beaches (Aeolian Archipelago, Tyrrhenian Sea): Geological Magazine, v. 154, p. 804-828. doi: 10.1017/S001675681600042X
Paterson, S., Clausen, B., Memeti, V., and Schwartz, J.J., 2017, Arc magmatism, tectonism and tempos in Mesozoic arc crustal sections of the Peninsular and Transverse Ranges, Southern California, USA, in Kraatz, B., Lackey, J.S., and Fryxell, J.E., eds., Field Excursions in Southern California: Field Guides to the 2016 GSA Cordilleran Section Meeting: Geological Society of America Field Guide 45, p. 1–104, doi:10.1130/2017.0045(04).
Schwartz, J.J., Klepeis, K.A., Sadorski, J.F.*, Stowell, H.H., Tulloch, A.J., and Coble, M., 2017, The Tempo of Continental Arc Construction in the Mesozoic Median Batholith, Fiordland, New Zealand: Lithosphere (doi:10.1130/L610.1).
Stewart, C.* and Miranda, E.A. (2017), The rheological evolution of brittle-ductile transition rocks during the earthquake cycle: evidence for a ductile precursor to pseudotachylyte in an extensional fault system, South Mountains, Arizona. Journal of Geophysical Research, Solid Earth, v. 122, doi:10.1002/2017JB014680.
Stowell, H.H., Schwartz, J.J., Klepeis, K.A., Hout, C., Tulloch, A.J., and Koenig, A., 2017, Sm-Nd garnet ages for granulite and eclogite in the Breaksea Orthogneiss and widespread granulite facies metamorphism of the lower crust, Fiordland magmatic arc, New Zealand: Lithosphere; https://doi.org/10.1130/L662.1