B.S., Honors, Stanford University, 1977
Ph.D., Columbia University, 1984
Chemistry 100, Principles of Chemistry
Chemistry 235, Introductory Organic Chemistry
Chemistry 235L, Introductory Organic Chemistry Laboratory
Chemistry 331, Organic Chemistry I
Chemistry 331L, Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
Chemistry 332, Organic Chemistry II
Chemistry 332L, Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
Chemistry 333, Organic Chemistry I
Chemistry 333L, Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
Chemistry 334, Organic Chemistry II
Chemistry 334R, Problem Solving in Organic Chemistry II
Chemistry 334L, Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
Chemistry 411, Synthesis
Chemistry 411L, Synthesis Laboratory
Chemistry 433, Organic Analysis
Chemistry 433L, Organic Analysis Laboratory
Professor Charonnat's research interests are: 1) the total synthesis of natural products, and 2) the development of new synthetic methodology. The first project is a highly stereo- and regio-controlled total synthesis of a functionally complex sesquiterpene that is one of very few naturally occurring beta-lactones. The second category includes studies on mild, selective Conia cyclizations, and conjugate additions to enol tosylates of alpha-dicarbonyl compounds.
- "Novel Application of the Intramolecular Prins Reaction: (-)-Anisatin Model Study," Charonnat, J. A., Nishimura, N., Travers, B. W. and Waas, J. R., Synlett (1996), 1162-1164.
- "Conjugate Addition of Lithium Diorganocuprate Reagents to the Enol Tosylate of a 1,2-Diketone," Charonnat, J. A., Mitchell, A. L. and Keogh, B. P., Tetrahedron Lett. (1990) 31, 315-318.
M. S. THESES
Studies Directed Toward the Total Synthesis of the GABA Antagonist, (-)-Anisatin (1996) Nishimura, N.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- University Ambassadors' Award, CSU Northridge
- Advancement of Teaching Effectiveness Award, CSU Northridge
- Eugene Lang Faculty Fellow, Swarthmore College
- Dana Foundation Faculty Fellow, Swarthmore College
- Phi Lambda Upsilon, Columbia University
- Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University
- Honors B.S., with Distinction, Stanford University