Do you need to reach an advisor?
We are advising remotely by phone or Zoom. Read below for our contact information and availability.
Please include your name and student ID number in your email or phone call.
WE HAVE TWO ADVISORS:
Dr. Terri Richardson
- Email: Terri.firstname.lastname@example.org
- 818-677-7305 (leave a message)
- Appointments held by phone (no Zoom)
- Biology major/minor students: On Sept 3, 2020, you received an email (from ) with instructions for making appointments online for the Fall semester. If you need an appointment, but cannot find the email, contact us for assistance.. Or, email email@example.com for assistance.
- Pre-Health (NON Biology), Alumni or Prospective Students: Click here to make an appointment.
Dr Richardson has been CSUN’s Health Professions Advisor since 2006 and has been one of the CSUN Biology Department Advisors since 2010. Her area of expertise is advising individuals from all majors who are preparing to enter Medical, Physician Assistant, Nursing, Dental, Pharmacy, Optometry, Veterinary, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Podiatry, and other allied health schools/programs.
Dr Richardson graduated from CSUN (BA Biology ’98, MS Career Counseling ’09) and the University of California, Irvine College of Medicine (MD ’04).
Dani Amoroso, M.S.
- Email: Danielle.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a brief question? Walk-in Zoom: Tue/Thur, 12:30-2pm, click here to walk in!
- Walk-ins are ONLY for brief questions. You will only have 5 minutes to speak with Amoroso once she admits you to the Zoom room. Once your time is up, we will have to end the meeting so that all students get a fair chance of having their questions answered.
- Before joining Walk-ins, please have your student ID number ready, and a list of your questions.We cannot predict wait times. Students will be seen in the order that they join the Zoom waiting room. Know that Amoroso will do her best to get to each student, but if the waiting room is full, she may have to close the Zoom waiting room early to accommodate students already waiting.
- Biology majors should instead use the link sent to their student email address to make a formal appointment, if they feel that they will need more than 5 minutes to discuss their concern.
- Absolutely no registration HOLDS will be lifted in walk-in. HOLDS are only lifted in a formal appointment setting.
- Biology majors: Use link sent to your email on 9/3/20 to make an appointment. Or email email@example.com for assistance.
- Appointments held by Zoom or Phone, Mondays and Wednesdays
Dani earned her MS degree in Biology here at CSUN, studying Ecology and Evolution doing research on evolutionary trends in California native Dudleya species. She can help Biology majors plan their degree requirements, as well as discuss career opportunities and graduate degrees in the field.
If a disability prevents you from accessing our online appointment system,
please contact our office by phone at (818) 677-7305 for assistance.
Student Advisement Center for Biology Majors
The Biology Advisement Center offers information and guidance on a wide variety of subjects related to success in the Biology major.
Talking to one of the Biology advisors can help you in a variety of ways. Advisors can help you to choose an emphasis within the Biology majors and design a plan to graduate.
They can also shed light on various career paths and post-bachelor’s programs.
Keep track of your Academic Progress
Your Degree Progress Report (DPR/audit) lists your completed and remaining graduation requirements. You can use the DPR/Planner to plan future classes and determine your graduation date.
You are required to see an advisor at certain points in your academic career. Be sure to check your CSUN student email address frequently for important correspondence from your Advisors and Department.
Use the links before to access more information on specific Biology degree requirements
|BA Biology||BS Cell and Molecular Biology||BS Ecology and Evolution||BS Microbiology|
|BS Marine Biology||BS Biotechnology||BS Medical Technology|
Preparing for a Professional Career
Check out our YouTube Channel for helpful videos on pre-health professions, including a new series of videos on Nursing! You’ll also hear words of wisdom from CSUN Professor’s in a variety of biology disciplines.
The Advisement Office can provide you with detailed information about the pre-requisites to attend the following professional degree schools and programs. Follow the links below to see a brief summary of the pre-requisites for each of the listed professional schools:
|DENTAL SCHOOL||OPTOMETRY SCHOOL||OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY|
|PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT SCHOOL||PHARMACY SCHOOL||PHYSICAL THERAPY SCHOOL|
Students interested in a career in Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS) should major in the Medical Technology track of the B.S. in Biology. The Medical Technology track prepares students for the clinical year of training and the California License exam in Clinical Laboratory Science or for training and certification in Public Health Microbiology. It is designed to meet the State academic requirements for Clinical Lab Science. Students who complete the course sequence for Medical Technology will be prepared to apply for the clinical year of training in Clinical Lab Science or to begin a career in industry or government.
For more information on California Clinical Lab Science Training Programs, contact our CLS Advisor, Karen Koch, who holds office hours on Zoom (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30pm-1:30pm in Fall 2020). In addition, please make sure to review the catalog requirements for the Medical Technology B.S. option.
Students interested in Teaching can begin by learning more about becoming a teacher.
Admission to a CSU credential program or University intern program requires demonstration of subject matter competence in biological sciences, and there are several ways of completing that requirement. The most common is passage of a set of state-administered California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET), with six testing dates per year (http://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/).