Risk Management

Special Event Insurance

Special Event Insurance may be available for the great variety of “special events” that take place each week both on and off-campus. There are basically three distinct groups who must make arrangements with the University or its Affiliated Organizations to use the University’s facilities. The path to take to actually hold the event depends on which group is sponsoring the event and, of course, the nature and location of the event.

The three groups are:

  1. CSUN Students and Student Organizations
  2. CSUN Staff or Faculty
  3. Outside Groups (Businesses, Community Organizations, Film Companies, etc.)

The groups may be looking for using or leasing on-campus classroom space, outdoor space, athletic facilities, theaters, recital halls, USU facilities, University Club/Orange Grove Bistro, etc. In many cases the use of facilities requires that the group sign a contract and show evidence of adequate insurance.

Students and student organizations that are planning any type of event, indoors or outdoors, anyplace on or off campus should first go to the Division of Student Affairs, “Matador Involvement Center” located in the University Student Union (USU) for information. If the participants include anyone who is not a registered student or a member of CSUN faculty or staff, special event insurance is usually required. Fundraising events require coordination with University Advancement (University Hall Room 110)

On-campus events organized by CSUN faculty or staff, faculty groups, college or department with outside organization involvement or events organized by outside groups without CSUN sponsorship must go to University Licensing, Sierra Center, 3rd floor to start. These events will require insurance in almost all cases.

ASREC Sports is responsible for athletic facility reservations by students but University Licensing handles any off campus entity who wants to use athletic facilities.

Special Event Insurance provides short term liability coverage for special event groups (for profit or non-profit) and/or performers using California State University Northridge facilities.

The Special Event Liability Program is designed by various insurers to address the risk management and insurance needs of such groups for the short term rental or use of University facilities such as halls, auditoriums, streets, parks, fields, etc. As some groups are small and do not have a need for regular on-going commercial insurance, CSUN Risk Management offers to provide the opportunity to secure coverage on an as-needed basis for special events.

CSUN departments that sponsor an on or off-campus special event may contact the University Risk Management Department directly to determine whether special events insurance is required.

Insurance requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis. University Licensing Department at (818) 677-6572 handles facility reservations, facility staffing costs, security requirements, special equipment and/or infrastructure requirements of the event.

If an outside organization or group wishes to rent Student Housing & Conference Service facilities, including vacant dorm rooms, contact Student Housing & Conference Service directly at (818) 677-2160.  Special Event insurance may be available for the group to meet Student Housing & Conference Service’s contractual requirements for the group’s activities and liability exposures.

If the event will involve Parking Services, use the Special Events Planning Worksheet for guidance; if Campus Police may be involved, use their Event Planning Guide.  If the event involves the preparation, distribution or sale of food, you must review the Food Rules with the EH&S Department (Corporate Yard, X 2401) and complete the “Request for Authorization to sell Potentially Hazardous Foods” for authorization. See “How to sell food on Campus” on this Risk Management home page.

Please contact the Risk Management at (818-677-6830) for a quote or additional information.