CSUN I-Corps Team Information
Do you have a STEM invention or technology that you think is ready for market?
Are you interested in customer discovery around your innovation?
Have you received an NSF or STEM grant in the past and think you are ready to commercialize your research?
Are you interested in participating in the CSUN I-Corps Site Program?
California State University, Northridge has been at the forefront of promoting entrepreneurship and innovation through Cii, its on-campus incubator, and student competitions like Appjam, Varjam and the Bull Ring. To strengthen these efforts, the National Science Foundation (NSF) has recently awarded CSUN with a grant as part of its Innovation Corps (I-Corps) Program to support commercialization of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) innovations and entrepreneurship activities at CSUN.
The federally funded I-Corps grant will provide as many as 30 teams with up to $3,000 each to explore an idea, product or service in the STEM fields to determine its viability on the commercial market. The teams consist of 1) an entrepreneurial lead – typically a student or postdoctoral fellow, 2) an academic lead– typically a staff or faculty member, and 3) an industry mentor, who can be a non-CSUN affiliate. This new CSUN I-Corps Site Program will prepare teams to take their innovation to the next level such as formation of a start-up company and/or additional follow-on funding from a variety of sources. I-Corps teams are also eligible to compete for a national NSF I-Corps Grant for $50,000 toward commercialization of their research/invention/technology.
Part of the program will include an I-Corps Site short course over the Fall semester that introduces participants to the key concepts and methodologies used in I-Corps, which is the rigorous market assessment and validation program pioneered by the NSF. I-Corps Site teams will receive up to $3,000 to support their customer discovery efforts, and teams that successfully complete this short course will be eligible to apply for the National NSF I-Corps program.
- Applicants do NOT need previous commercialization experience, a developed venture concept, or any protected intellectual property in hand. The short course is designed specifically for curious researchers and nascent academic entrepreneurs.
- Teams that do not have an Academic Lead or an Industry Mentor will be assisted with finding these team members.
- Teams will be selected based on a complete online application received by the deadline. Applicants will be notified of selection decisions by email. We expect to fund up to 10 teams per semester.
- If you have questions about this program, your eligibility, the application, or the selection process, contact Research and Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org
I-Corps Fall Semester Timeline
Oct 25th: Office hours 10am-1pm, Location: Reseda Annex, Room 205 2nd floor (9324 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, CA 91324)
Before Nov 3rd: Complete the I-Corps Application Form (Below)
- Nov 3rd 10am-2pm: ZAP Session 1 (Optional but Recommended) Location: UN 277
Intro to Value Proposition and Customer Discovery
Nov 8th: Office hours 10am-1pm, Location: Reseda Annex, Room 205 2nd floor (9324 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, CA 91324)
- Nov 17th 10am-2pm: ZAP Session 2 Location: Van Nuys Room, USU
Team presentations on Value Proposition and Customer Discovery. Teams are required to complete at least 5 customer interviews.
- Nov 22nd: Office hours 10am-1pm, Location: Reseda Annex, Room 205 2nd floor (9324 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, CA 91324)
- November 27, 2017-January 24, 2018: Online BOOM Program becomes available (Enrollment is through Canvas)
-complete online video coursework (Total course time: ~3.5 hrs)
-complete at 30 additional customer interviews
-are eligible for up to $3,000 to be used for customer discovery
-have access to a mentor network
- Dec 6th: Office hours 10am-1pm, Location: Reseda Annex, Room 205 2nd floor (9324 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, CA 91324)
- Dec 20th: Office hours 10am-1pm, Location: Reseda Annex, Room 205 2nd floor (9324 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, CA 91324)
- The Boom Team Presentations will be January 24th, 2018 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Location: Van Nuys Room, USU
Teams are then evaluated for the next phase. This can include:
-entering Cii, the campus incubator
-applying for I-Corps National Program and up to $50,000 in funds
-applying for additional grant funding
Please RSVP here.
- January/February 2018 Recruit for Spring I-Corps Teams