Graduate Studies

  • Student Funding

Thesis/Dissertation Support Program


(Please click here to access the 2018-2019 Application)

Funds are available for graduate students, both masters and doctoral, working on research projects, dissertations, and theses. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis. Selection criteria include significance of the project in the field and the style of writing.

Eligibility  is  restricted  to  classified  CSUN  graduate  students  in  a  state  supported  master’s  or  doctoral program, with a GPA of 3.5 or above. The maximum award granted is $1,000. Due to limited funding for this program, students who are selected may receive less than $1,000. All applicants are required to have either a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Please note: International Students may have up to 30% withheld for Federal Income Tax.

Not eligible

  • Individuals who previously received support from this program.

  • Any CSU employee or their dependents receiving a university fee waiver.

Budget Categories

  • Costs  associated  with  travel  to  a  research  site,  supplies,  minor  equipment,  performance  expenses and library searches are examples of expenditures that will be supported.

Not allowed

Human or Animal Subjects
If your research project involves human or animal subjects you must submit a protocol for approval. If you have questions about the protocol process, please click here.

NOTE: Your application will not be funded until your protocol has been approved. If your protocol has not been approved by Friday, January 25th, 2019 you will not be considered for funding.

What must you do if chosen to receive support

  • Present your research at the CSUNposium on April 5th, 2019. Award may be cancelled if you fail to present at the CSUNposium.

  • Submit an itemized list of all expenditures by June 28th, 2019.

  • If your research requires international travel you must obtain prior approval. Please contact Cyndi Paull in the Risk Management office at or (818) 677-­‐6830. For more information visit: