Research and Graduate Studies

Current Students

We are excited that you will be joining us at CSUN! This Current Student page provides information on many topics. For example, the CSUN Graduate Student Handbook, how to apply for graduation, the Culminating Experience, the Thesis/Dissertation process and how to get your graduate diploma. To access all of the content on this page please use the Current Student link on the navigation bar on the left.


CSUN Graduate Student Handbook

The CSUN Graduate Student Handbook will provide you with the necessary information to be a successful graduate student. It covers topics including the process for applying to a graduate program, funding sources, research opportunities; graduate studies policies and student services. The Handbook is intended to supplement the information found in the University Catalog. It discusses the minimum university requirements and policies that all graduate students must meet. Please note that many graduate programs have more specific policies, procedures, and/or admissions requirements.

New Graduate Student Handbook 2817 (.pdf) 


Student Degree Progress Report Guide

The Degree Progress Report (DPR) is an audit that provides a full picture of your progress toward completing your Masters or Doctoral degree.  Please read the flyer below to learn how to access your DPR audit.

Student Degree Progress Report Guide .pdf


Apply for graduation

Student's wishing to apply for graduation for subsequent semesters may download the Application for Graduate Degree and Diploma (.pdf) which requires a $47.00 fee. Students may mail the application to address on form, or hand carry to the Office of Admissions and Records.  This form will initiate a graduation evaluation which advises students of existing requirements for their degree. Graduate students are required to be enrolled the semester in which the degree is to be awarded.


Culminating Experience

Some type of culminating experience is required of every candidate for the master’s or doctoral degree. The culminating experience must be a Thesis/Dissertation, a Graduate Project, or Comprehensive Exam. The specific type of culminating experience is to be identified on the student’s program.


Culminating Experience Enrollment Request

For students that have fulfilled all degree requirements but are still working on a Thesis, Project, Dissertation, enrollment in XEDU 980 constitutes enrollment for graduation purposes only.

Enrollment Request Form (.pdf)


Thesis/ Dissertation

When a student is completing a thesis or dissertation, the student must register via the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation system (ETD)

For information regarding format please review the guidelines.


How to Get Your Graduate Diploma

Graduating from college is an important milestone in your life. It’s imperative that you take the necessary steps to ensure that you receive your graduate diploma. Please read the flyer below!

How to Get Your Graduate Diploma (.pdf)


Federal Financial Aid Issues for Graduate Students 

Interested in learning about Federal Financial Aid issues that affects graduate Students? Please read the flyer below!

Federal Financial Aid (.pdf)


Associated Students Funding for Graduate Students

As we approach the end of this semester and many of you prepare to turn projects into conference presentations, I encourage you to seek annual funding from Associated Students! Below, you will find information about the types of funding available as well as the quantities you can be rewarded. For more information or to apply, please visit
Graduate students can apply for funding from AS once a year for an amount up to $600 per student dependent upon the category of funding sought. Leadership / Training Conference Travel Funding: up to $500 per student attending a conference on behalf of an AS chartered club or organization. This funding is not available to individual students who are not with an affiliated club or organization. Student Travel and Academic Research (STAR): $600 per student for 10 students ($6000) per academic department. Students' work must have been accepted for presentation at the conference, and proof of this is required. This funding is for individual students NOT applying through an affiliated club or organization. Non-Conference Funding through Student Travel and Academic Research (STAR): up to $500 per student with a cap of $2,000 per project (involving multiple students). This funding is for students seeking financial assistance for academic projects that are NOT going to be presented at a conference in the same academic year. Should you have any questions, please feel free to come by the AS Student Leadership office located in the University Student Union (across from The Pub).