Do I need to re-apply to CSUN?
If you have not enrolled at CSUN for three consecutive semesters, you must reapply for admission to the university. Not sure? Contact your CSUN graduate program for more information.
- Apply for admission before the filing deadline for your program and desired semester of readmission published at Application Dates & Deadlines.
- Go to Cal State Apply and start your application. Application opens Oct. 1 for fall admission and Aug. 1 for spring admission.
- Before submitting your online university application, identify any additional departmental admission requirements:
- Credential program applicants: Complete a Credential Program Application. For forms and instructions, visit the Credential Office page How to Apply. Contact the Credential Office for guidance.
- Master's program applicants: Review admission requirements for your desired CSUN graduate program and contact the department to determine whether higher admission standards, an additional departmental application, and additional documents are required.
- Doctoral program applicants: Visit the program website for application instructions:
- Send us your official transcripts for any college or university courses you have completed since you last attended CSUN, as well as preliminary transcripts for course work now in progress. If you have not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN, no transcripts are required.
- As soon as your work-in-progress is complete and grades are posted, send us your final official transcripts. Official transcripts can be paper or electronic.
See Transcript Sending Tips on this page.
Readmission of previously disqualified graduate and credential students will be determined by their respective graduate or credential programs. Read more in the University Catalog at:
Send preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts now. As soon as your course work is complete and grades and any degrees are posted, send us your final official transcripts. Your final transcript will be used to verify that all course work and the indicated degree have been completed.
Official transcripts can be electronic or paper.
- Electronic transcripts:
- Choose "CSU Northridge" as the recipient in your school's electronic transcript system.
- Electronic transcripts from California community colleges are faster! Please review eTranscript California.
- Please do not send identical, duplicate paper and electronic transcripts.
Transcripts are not required if:
- If you were previously disqualified and have only taken courses in CSUN’s Tseng College since your disqualification.
- If you are a returning student in good academic standing who has not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN.
NOTE: If you attended CSUN before 1992 and submitted official transcripts for transfer courses at that time, you must submit new transfer course transcripts.
Applications will be reviewed in the months following the application deadline. Initial admission decisions will be based on the information you reported on your application and the transcripts that you submit. Your fall admission decision will be available in the CSUN Portal as early as mid-March and after. Spring decisions will be available in mid-October and after.
- Set up your CSUN Portal and CSUN email accounts.
- Locate the “Activate CSUN User ID and Password” email sent to you by our Office of Admissions after you submitted your application.
- Visit the CSUN reset password page and enter your birthdate and your CSUN user ID, 9-digit student ID number, or CSUN email address. Select the Next button.
- Once you select Next, an email or text message (your choice) with a temporary password will be sent to you.
- Go to the CSUN Portal login page.
- On the account authentication screen, enter your CSUN user ID and the temporary password you received by email or text message.
- Select Login.
- Check your admission status periodically using CSUN Portal and update your personal contact information.
- Check your CSUN email often as it's our primary form of communication with you throughout the admissions process. If you forward your CSUN Gmail to another account, be sure to keep your email address updated and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list.
Congratulations on your admission to CSUN! Completing these steps will start you on the path to becoming a graduate or credential student at CSUN.
Step 1 - Submit Your Final Transcripts
- Send us your final, official transcripts as soon as your courses end and your grades and degree(s) are posted. Final transcripts are used to verify that you have completed the course work you indicated as work-in-progress on any preliminary transcripts.
- Check for missing transcripts and other incomplete tasks in My Checklist in the CSUN Portal.
- Review "Transcript Sending Tips" on this page.
Step 2 - Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships
When deciding how to finance your CSUN education, account for your overall cost of attendance including basic tuition and fees, housing, transportation, books and personal expenses. Consider grants, loans, scholarships, part-time employment, savings and contributions from your family to make this investment affordable.
The CSUN Financial Aid & Scholarship Department website provides many resources for planning ways to finance your education.
Federal and state financial aid programs (grants, part-time jobs and student loans) are awarded to students who apply and meet eligibility requirements.
To begin the financial aid application process:
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CAADA) as soon as possible. Be sure to use the IRS data retrieval option to reduce errors and list CSUN's federal school code (001153) on your FAFSA. The FAFSA and CAADA applications open Oct. 1 for the coming school year.
- California residents should also file FAFSA or CAADA by March 2 to be considered for a State University Grant.
CSUN scholarships are competitive and each requires a separate application and essay. Review each scholarship's application requirements carefully.
To begin the CSUN scholarship application process:
- Go to myMatador Scholarships and login with your CSUN user ID and password.
- Submit a separate online application and essay for each scholarship for which you meet the eligibility requirements.
You will be notified of your eligibility by late spring. Check your CSUN Portal regularly for your application and award status and the CSUN Financial Aid & Scholarship Department website for additional scholarship opportunities posted throughout the year.
Organizations other than CSUN award countless scholarships each year. Students are encouraged to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Review the off-campus scholarships website for more information.
Guidelines for Financial Aid and Scholarships
Financial aid and scholarship applications are reviewed and aid is awarded throughout the year based on available funding. Some grant funds are limited, so apply early and submit documents as soon as requested.
Log in to the CSUN Portal to view your financial aid award. If you are registered for classes and your aid is available, the Office of University Cash Services will apply financial aid funds to any charges on your account and issue refunds for any remaining amount. Sign up for eRefund by early August to receive your refund amount via direct deposit.
When your financial aid is disbursed, amounts due from basic tuition and fees and housing will be deducted automatically from your awarded aid. University Cash Services will send you an email and you may view the transactions in your student account.
Helpful: Financial aid guides and tutorials
Step 3 - Schedule an Academic Advisement Appointment
Before enrolling in classes, schedule an appointment for academic advisement with your graduate program coordinator:
Step 4 - Register for Classes
Look for your registration appointment in the CSUN Portal under My Checklist. Clear any registration holds before enrolling.
Learn about self-service registration with these resources:
Step 5 - Pay Tuition and Fees
Tuition and other fees are due at the time you register but no later than the deadlines in the fee payment schedule.
Step 6 - Update Your Contact Information
So that we can keep in contact, please:
- Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
- Verify your mailing address, phone number, alternate email address, and emergency contacts in the CSUN Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.
Best wishes for your return to CSUN!