Prospective Students

  • Apply for the spring 2023 semester

    Submit your application Aug. 1-31

  • Diverse students share a smile.
  • Watch Cory's Video Story.

    Why CSUN: Sharing the Student Story

Returning to CSUN: I am a returning Graduate Student

Welcome back! As you begin the application for readmission to CSUN, please note: We cannot accept applications for second or additional bachelor’s degrees due to CSUN’s impaction status. If you've already earned a bachelor’s degree or higher, we encourage you to apply to a CSUN graduate program instead.

Keep reading to find out what you need to do for readmission to a graduate program.

I am returning in good standing

Do I need to re-apply to CSUN?

If you have not enrolled at CSUN for three consecutive semesters, you must reapply for admission to the university. Not sure? Contact your CSUN graduate program for more information.

Application Steps:

  1. Apply for admission before the filing deadline for your program and desired semester of readmission published in the Cal State Apply search tool at Application Dates and Deadlines.
  2. Go to Cal State Apply and start your application. Application opens October 1.
  3. Before submitting your online university application, identify any additional departmental admission requirements:
  4. Send us your official transcripts for any college or university courses you have completed since you last attended CSUN, as well as preliminary transcripts for course work now in progress. (If you have not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN, no transcripts are required.)
  5. As soon as your work-in-progress is complete and grades are posted, send us your final official transcripts. Official transcripts can be paper or electronic.

    See “Transcript Sending Tips” on this page.

I was previously disqualified as a graduate student

Eligibility Requirements:

Readmission of previously disqualified graduate and credential students will be determined by their respective graduate or credential programs. Read more in the University Catalog at:

Transcript Sending Tips

Send preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts now. As soon as your course work is complete and grades are posted, send us your final official transcripts.

  • Official transcripts can be paper or electronic.
  • We must receive your official paper transcripts in sealed, unopened envelopes.
  • Electronic transcripts from California community colleges are preferred and faster! For details please see eTranscript California.
  • NOTE: Please do not send identical, duplicate paper and electronic transcripts.
  • If your current college or university is your degree school, have the final official transcript sent when the degree has been posted. Your final transcript will be used to verify that all course work and the indicated degree have been completed.
  • If you attended CSUN before 1992 and submitted official transcripts for transfer courses at that time, you must submit new transfer course transcripts.
  • Send official paper transcripts in sealed envelopes to:

    California State University, Northridge
    Office of the Registrar
    18111 Nordhoff Street
    Northridge, CA 91330-8207

  • You may also hand deliver transcripts in sealed, unopened envelopes to the Admissions and Records window at the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall, 1st floor lobby (BH 100) during our business hours.
  • If you were previously disqualified and have only taken courses in CSUN’s Tseng College since your disqualification, no transcripts are required.
  • If you are a returning student in good academic standing who has not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN, no transcripts are required.

I have applied - Next Steps

Applications will be reviewed in the months following the application deadline. Initial admission decisions will be based on the information you reported on your application, the transcripts that you submit, and the academic qualifications of the applicant pool. Your admission decision will be available in your myNorthridge WebPortal as early as mid-March and thereafter.

After You Apply

  • Set up your myNorthridge WebPortal and CSUN email account. 
    1. Locate the “Activate CSUN user ID and Password” acknowledgment email sent to you by CSUN Admissions and Records after you submitted your application.
    2. Go to myNorthridge Portal (login required) and enter User ID and Password — which are listed in the acknowledgment email — and your birthdate and then click Activate.
    3. Once you select Activate, an email with a temporary password will be sent to you.
    4. Go back to the CSUN home page and select Log In.
    5. On the Account Authentication screen, enter your myNorthridge User ID (which is listed in your acknowledgment email) in the myNorthridge/User Name field and the temporary password that you received in the email (which was sent to you after selecting Activate).
    6. Select Log In. For help, see account activation instructions.

I have been admitted - Next Steps

Congratulations on your admission to CSUN! Completing these steps will start you on the path to becoming a graduate or credential student at CSUN.

Step 1 - Submit Your Final Transcripts

  1. Send us your final, official transcripts as soon as your courses end and your grades and degree(s) are posted. Final transcripts are used to verify that you have completed the course work you indicated as work-in-progress on any preliminary transcripts.
  2. Check for missing transcripts and other incomplete tasks in "My Checklist" in myNorthridge Portal.
  3. Review "Transcript Sending Tips" on this page.

Step 2 - Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships

When deciding how to finance your CSUN education, account for your overall cost of attendance including basic tuition and fees, housing, transportation, books and personal expenses. Consider grants, loans, scholarships, part-time employment, savings and contributions from your family to make this investment affordable.

The CSUN Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website provides many resources for planning ways to finance your education.

Apply for Financial Aid

Federal and state financial aid programs (grants, part-time jobs and student loans) are awarded to students who apply and meet eligibility requirements.

To begin the financial aid application process:

  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. Be sure to use the IRS data retrieval option to reduce errors and list CSUN's federal school code (001153) on your FAFSA.
  • By March 2, California residents need to submit a GPA Verification Form to the California Student Aid Commission to be considered for a Cal Grant.

Apply for CSUN Scholarships

CSUN scholarships are competitive and each requires a separate application and essay. Review each scholarship's application requirements carefully.

To begin the CSUN scholarship application process:

  • Go to myMatador Scholarships and login with your CSUN User ID and Password.
  • Submit a separate online application and essay for each scholarship for which you meet the eligibility requirements.

You will be notified of your eligibility by late spring. Check your myNorthridge Portal regularly for your application and award status and the CSUN Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website for additional scholarship opportunities posted throughout the year.

Apply for External Scholarships

Organizations other than CSUN award countless scholarships each year. Students are encouraged to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Review the off-campus scholarships website for more information.

Guidelines for Financial Aid and Scholarships

Priority Deadlines

Financial aid and scholarship applications are reviewed and aid is awarded throughout the year based on available funding. Some grant funds are limited, so apply early and submit documents as soon as requested.

Your Financial Aid Award and Disbursement

Log in to myNorthridge to view your financial aid award. If you are registered for classes and your aid is available, the Office of University Cash Services will apply financial aid funds to any charges on your account and issue refunds for any remaining amount. Sign up for e-Refund by early August to receive your refund amount via direct deposit.

When your financial aid is disbursed, amounts due from basic tuition and fees and housing will be deducted automatically from your awarded aid. University Cash Services will send you an email and you may view the transactions in your student account.

Step 3 - Schedule an Academic Advisement Appointment

Before enrolling in classes, schedule an appointment for academic advisement with your graduate program coordinator:

Step 4 - Register for Classes

Look for your registration appointment in myNorthridge Portal under My Checklist. Clear any registration holds before registering.

Learn about self-service registration with these resources:

Step 5 - Pay Tuition and Fees

Tuition and other fees are due at the time you register but no later than the deadlines in the fee payment schedule.

To pay your fees by your fee payment deadline:

  1. Go to myNorthridge Portal,
  2. Select “Financial Matters” tab
  3. Select “My Financial Obligations” section
  4. Select “Make a payment”

Tuition and Other Fees Disclosure

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fees are initially charged or initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory system-wide fees, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU-listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory system-wide fees will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028-66028.6 of the Education Code).

Step 6 - Update Your Contact Information

So that we can keep in contact, please:

  • Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
  • Verify your mailing address, phone number, alternate email address, and emergency contacts in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.

Best wishes for your return to CSUN!