Process Repository

Withdrawals, Administrative and Student Initiated

Administrative Withdrawals

Although it is the student’s responsibility to drop classes, the University may withdraw a student from a course within the first three weeks of instruction if the student fails to meet the prerequisite(s) or other requirements as indicated in the Course Catalog.

These prerequisites may include:

  1. Completion of prior course work
  2. Passing qualifying examinations
  3. Class year standing
  4. Admission to or special requirements of special programs, such as Honors or Credential
  5. Completion of prior course work with a required minimum credit
  6. Consent of instructor

Such an administrative withdrawal may be initiated only by the Associate Dean of the College, upon recommendation from the instructor or department chair. The Associate Dean of the course must submit the Administrative Withdrawal form directly to the Office of the Registrar before 4:00 PM on Friday of the second week of instruction.

Withdrawals – Student Initiated

As a student, you are responsible for all adjustments to your schedule at all times.

Please note:

  • The student—not the instructor—is responsible for dropping classes.
  • Nonattendance does not constitute a withdrawal, nor does stopping payment on a check for tuition and other fees constitute a request for a refund.

Failure to follow formal withdrawal procedures may result in an obligation to pay tuition and other fees, the assignment of failing grades in all courses, and the need to reapply for admission to the University for the next academic term.

How and When to Withdraw

No approvals are necessary to drop classes online through myNorthridge from the start of registration through the close of Late Registration. Learn how at Drop or Swap Classes. Formal approval is required after the fourth week of the fall and spring semesters. Read more at Late Add-Drop Classes.

Withdrawal Limits

Undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 units of CSUN courses. The 18-unit limit does not apply to the first 20 days of each semester when withdrawals from courses are permitted without restriction or penalty. Review the University Catalog withdrawal policies for undergraduates and graduate students. To check the number of units you've withdrawn from, see the guide View Withdrawals/Repeats - Undergraduate Students.

Medical Withdrawals

Whether partial or complete, medical withdrawals do not count toward the maximum 18 units.

Consequences of Withdrawing

Reducing the number of enrolled units may affect your eligibility for Campus Housing, International Student status, Financial Aid and more. A Financial Aid student who reduces the number of units or who completely withdraws (including medical withdrawal) from a period of enrollment may be subject to REPAYMENT. Before withdrawing, review Academic Program Changes and consult the appropriate offices for assistance.

Financial aid and scholarship recipients should review What Affects My Aid – Withdrawal Policy.