Online Reporting FAQs

What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me? 
If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If non-emergency call 818-677-2111.

What if this happened in another city can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?
No, If a crime took place outside of the City of California State University of Northridge PD please call the police department for that city.

What should I do if I find something of value?
Lost/Found Property should be delivered to CSUN Police Services building located at 9222 Darby Avenue (Southeast corner of Darby Ave. and
Prairie St.). The Department of Police Services will make efforts to identify and contact the legal owner of the property so that the property can be returned.

What should I do if I lost property of value such as jewelry, a bicycle, or electronic device?
If the value of your lost item is $950 or more, you should file a lost property police report through the CSUN Department of Police Service's COPLOGIC online reporting system. Property valued less than $950 is to be reported via the department's RETURNITY online reporting system.

Will the Police Department attempt to match Lost/Found Property with missing property and notify the owner?
Yes. Reports that officers take concerning found or lost property are forwarded to the Lost and Found Section. The Lost and Found Coordinator compares lost property reports with any property that has been turned into the section. If a match is made, the owner of the property will be notified.

If I submit "Found" property and the owner is not located, can I claim it?
Yes. State law allows found, unclaimed property to be returned to the finding person after a period of 90 days if the reported value of the found item is less than $250, AND if the finding person is NOT a University employee. Unclaimed property with a reported value of $250 or more must be advertised after 90 days by the CSUN Department of Police Services in a newspaper. If, after seven days following the first publication of the notice, no owner appears and proves ownership of the property, the title shall vest in the person who found the property. (Civil Code Section 2080.8)

What if this happened on a state Freeway?
If this took place on a state Freeway please call the Highway Patrol Office nearest you.

What is a known suspect?
A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.