Benefits and Certifications when participating in NSO Leadership Teams:
- Meet new people and create new friendships
- Leadership and diversity training
- Valuable networking connections with faculty and staff
- Familiarity with the campus and resources
- Impact new students' first year experience and serve as a mentor
- Gain public speaking skills
- A better sense of CSUN pride
- Priority Registration for Academic Classes
- Become Internationally Certified as a Peer Mentor**
**CSUN's NSO Leadership program is "IMTPC Certified"
NSO Leadership Programs are certified through The College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) which provides certification in mentor training peer-assisted programs that are research-based and strategically implemented. Students completing NSO Leadership training also satisfy CRLA's International Mentor Training Program Certification or "IMTPC" and reserve the right to document this on transcripts, resumes, etc..
The goal of New Student Orientation is to support the continuous process of integrating new students into the academic, cultural and social context of CSUN.
- Four leadership trainings
- New Student Orientation program events
- Welcome All Matadors events (President's Picnic and New Student Convocation)
Commencement: Each leader must participate in the commencement ceremonies as an usher (number of ceremonies may vary pending on the year)
Typically, applications are open during the following times:
Orientation Leaders - Available at the beginning of each spring semester, late January/Early February. (team is selected by mid/late March)
Matador Mentors - Available in mid/late October (team is selected prior to the Winter Break).
TAKE Cast - Available in mid January (team is selected during Winter Break).
Student Coordinator - Available in mid/late of October (team is selected prior to Winter Break).
There are no information sessions scheduled at this time. Please check back on this page for upcoming dates, times and locations.
We will be discussing what will be expected of you as a New Student Orientation leader and what you can expect from us, your orientation team. Be ready to ask any questions you have regarding orientation as we are ready to answer them all. We look forward to meeting you!